Practice/Industry Group Overview
Successful defense of thousands of claims, including class action, mass torts and multi-district litigation, has been the hallmark of the Adams and Reese Medical and Pharmaceuticals Team. Grounded in general product liability defense, our firm promotes cost-effective resolutions that preserve the brand and business operations of our clients.
An internal capacity to handle large amounts of data and electronic discovery supports our team’s ability to move your case forward efficiently. We also offer a separate appellate team who can be mobilized and brought up to speed quickly.
Serving as former in-house legal counsel and leveraging backgrounds in many scientific and medical fields, Adams and Reese attorneys provide local, regional and national counsel. Over the years, we have established relationships with many highly respected consultants and expert witnesses to aid in discovery and court testimony.
In addition to our experience in litigation, our team members have assisted in the drafting and enactment of much of Louisiana’s medical tort reform legislation. We continue to serve on numerous committees and associations related to medical, pharmacology and toxicology law.
We also hold membership and leadership positions in key trade associations:
- Tulane University Joint Committee on Medical and Legal Education
- Society of Medical Association Counsel
- Louisiana Medical Disclosure Panel
- Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center Foundation
- Health Education Authority of Louisiana Board of Trustees
- Children's Hospital Institutional Review Board
- Ochsner Clinic Foundation Institutional Review Board
- Products Liability Advisory Council
- Defense Research Institute
- International Association of Defense Counsel
- Drug Information Association
- Alabama Center for Dispute Resolution
- Alabama Mental Health Counselors Association
- American Arbitration Association
- American College of Trial Lawyers
- Federation of Defense and Corporate Counsel
- Louisiana Governor's Commission of Medical Malpractice
- Lawyers for Civil Justice
- National Association of Defense Counsel
Core Practice and Clients
Representing major pharmaceutical manufacturers, medical device manufacturers and their affiliates in the U.S. and abroad, Adams and Reese primarily practices in the areas of:
Pharmaceutical Defense: including knowledge and defense of claims against antipsychotics, antidepressants, OTC drugs containing PPA, cholesterol lowering and diet drugs, synthetics and other hormone replacement therapies, contraceptives, asthma drugs and narcotics for pain relief.
Medical Device Defense: representing a wide variety of traditional and emerging devices, from wheelchairs and latex products to implants, pumps, pacemakers and defibrillators.
Legislative Reform: lobbying at the state and federal level regarding statutes of limitations, informed consent, blood shield law, repeal of punitive damages legislation and medical monitoring jurisprudence. We assist in the drafting of model laws and also leverage legal solutions to defend against potentially harmful legislation.
ADR and Appellate: providing dedicated teams in arbitration, mediation and appeals to resolve matters efficiently and cost-effectively while pursuing the ideal end result for you.
Whether you would like to conduct an internal investigation or are facing a massive product recall, Adams and Reese has the resources and experience to guide you through the reporting and compliance requirements that will sustain the health of your company. Contact us to discuss your most critical business decisions and legal threats.