Alain Gaucher has extensive experience in personal and business succession planning, high net worth estate planning, corporate tax, and shareholder agreements. Alain works with a broad client base of individuals, small to medium-sized enterprises and large corporations to produce business structures and processes that are as tax efficient as possible. He has extensive experience with provincial, national and international tax issues, and also provides tax litigation advice in disputes with the Canada Revenue Agency.
· Saskatoon Community Foundation - Former Chair; Director (since 2006)
· St. Paul's Hospital - Former Chair, Board of Management; Former Director, Foundation Board; Volunteer Chair, Capital Campaign (2007)
· Canadian Association of Family Enterprise, Saskatoon - Founding Director
· United Way of Saskatoon - Former Chair of the Campaign Cabinet
Papers & Presentations
· "Shareholders Agreements - Tips and Traps," Prairie Provinces Tax Conference, (Toronto: Canadian Tax Foundation, 2003), 6:1-40 (co-author).
· "U.S./Canada Executive Transfers: Selected SERP [Supplementary Executive Retirement Plan] Issues", (Mar. 2002) 13 T. Executive Comp. and Retirement 102-110.
· "The New Civil Penalty Provisions Under the Income Tax Act (Canada) and the Excise Tax Act (Canada)", CBA Bar Notes 16:1 (Fall 2001), p. 14 (co-author).
· "A Worker's Status as Employee or Independent Contractor," Report of Proceedings of the Fifty-First Tax Conference (Toronto: Canadian Tax Foundation, 2000), 33:1-98.
· "Estate Planning for Farmers: Some Income Tax and GST Issues", CBA Bar Notes 6:3 (April 1992), p. 15.
· "Taxation and Estate Planning", guest lecture to College of Law, University of Saskatchewan (Saskatoon, 1984-1997).
· Stock Purchase Agreements (Toronto: Carswell, 1984).
Awards & Distinctions
· Selected as one of the Best Lawyers in Canada - Tax Law (since 2008)
· Named one of Canada's Leading Lawyers in The Canadian Lexpert Legal Directory - Corporate Tax (since 2003)
· Lexis-Nexis / Martindale-Hubbell - "AV" Peer Review Rated