Alan R. Greenfield concentrates his practice on domestic and international franchising, licensing and distribution matters. Alan works with both experienced and startup franchise companies in structuring franchise programs and drafting franchise-related documents. He counsels franchisors and manufacturers on everyday compliance and other franchise or distributor-related issues, such as registration and disclosure matters, negotiating agreements, relationship termination laws, maintaining good franchisee/distributor relations, and resolving disputes with franchisees/distributors.
Alan also works on international franchising, licensing and distribution transactions. He counsels a broad range of clients in expanding their brands internationally through various means, such as master franchising, multi-unit licensing and area development. He has helped clients with transactions in countries and regions that include Argentina, Australia, the Baltics, Barbados, Bermuda, Brazil, Canada, Chile, China, Columbia, Dominican Republic, Egypt, France, Germany, Guatemala, Honduras, Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Iraq, Israel, Jamaica, Japan, Kuwait, Macau, Malaysia, Mexico, Norway, Panama, Peru, the Philippines, Poland, Qatar, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, South Korea, Spain, St. Lucia, Sweden, Thailand, Trinidad and Tobago, Tunisia, Turkey, the United Arab Emirates, the United Kingdom and Vietnam.
Alan is also experienced in mergers and acquisitions, with a focus on franchise/distribution transactions, and general corporate law.
Areas of Concentration
• Franchise/distribution agreements - domestic and international
• Medical device manufacturer distributorships
• Mergers and acquisitions
• Corporate law
Awards & Recognition
• Listed, Chambers USA Guide, 2015
• Listed, Emerging Lawyer, Leading Lawyers Network, 2015
• Named, Franchise Times, Legal Eagle, 2014-2015
• Listed, Super Lawyers magazine, Illinois Super Lawyers, Rising Star, 2009-2015
• Team Member, Corporate Board Member magazine and FTI Consulting Inc., one of America's Best Corporate Law Firms, 13th Annual Legal Industry Study, 2013
Associated News & Events
11.09.15 Greenberg Traurig's Alan Greenfield, David Oppenheim, and Ali Brodie to Speak at West Coast Franchise Expo
06.18.15 Greenberg Traurig Attorneys to Speak at 2015 International Franchise Expo
06.03.15 Fourteen Greenberg Traurig Chicago Attorneys and Five Practices Recognized in 2015 Chambers USA Guide
05.22.15 Greenberg Traurig Attorneys, Practices Included in the 2015 Chambers USA Guide
04.01.15 Greenberg Traurig's Alan R. Greenfield and David W. Oppenheim Recognized as Franchise 'Legal Eagles'
01.13.15 63 Greenberg Traurig Chicago Attorneys Recognized by Leading Lawyers
04.08.14 Greenberg Traurig's Alan R. Greenfield and David W. Oppenheim and Recognized as Franchise 'Legal Eagles'
01.11.13 36 Greenberg Traurig Attorneys Recognized in 2013 Edition of Illinois Super Lawyers
04.13.12 Franchise Attorney Alan R. Greenfield Joins Greenberg Traurig
03.01.15 Taking Your Franchise Public
08.03.15 Franchising in Cuba - The Next Frontier?
07.27.12 Recent Interchange Fee Settlement - How Proposed Changes to Visa and MasterCard's Policies Could Affect Your Franchise System
Articles, Publications, & Lectures
• Co-Author, Taking Your Franchise Public, Franchising World, page 25, March 2015
• Quoted, McDonald's, Yum Meat Scandal Exposes Franchise Pitfalls, Law360, July 21, 2014
• Co-Author, Implementing Surcharge Rules, LJN Franchising Business & Law Alert, Volume 18, Number 12, September 2012 (This article first appeared in the September 2012 issue of LJN's Franchising Business & Law Alert.)
• Quoted, Costs of Cashless Transactions Raise Conflicts Between Franchises, Card Issuers, Banks, LJN Franchising Business & Law Alert, Volume 18, Number 12, September 2012 (This article first appeared in the September 2012 issue of LJN's Franchising Business & Law Alert.)
• Quoted, While Lawyers Battle, Franchisors Weigh Wisdom of Surcharges, Franchise Times, September 1, 2012
• Speaker, Use of Financial Performance Representations in the Franchise Sales Process, IFA's Emerging Franchisor Conference, Miami, FL, November 18-19, 2015
• Speaker, Structuring Your Franchise Network Expansion, West Coast Franchise Expo, Anaheim, CA, November 12-14, 2015
• Speaker, Structuring Your Franchise Network Expansion, International Franchise Expo, New York, NY, June 19-21, 2014, June 18, 2015
• Speaker, Structuring Your Franchise Network Expansion, Franchise Expo South, Houston, TX, February 6, 2015
• Speaker, Franchise Disclosure Challenges for Large, Sophisticated, or Multi-Brand Franchise Companies, ABA Forum on Franchising, Seattle, WA, October 15-17, 2014
• Roundtable Facilitator, Franchising in South America, IFA Legal Symposium, Chicago, IL, May 4-6, 2014
• Speaker, Legal Discussion, International Franchise Association's Franchise Development Seminar, Denver, CO, September 25-26, 2013 and April 9, 2014
• Speaker, Preparing Your Franchise System for Sale, West Coast Franchise Expo, Anaheim, CA, October 24-26, 2013
• Speaker, Introduction to the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act in the Context of International Franchising, International Franchise Expo, New York, NY, June 20-22, 2013
• Speaker, International Franchising - Is it Easier Than You Think? International Franchising Conference - Discover a World of Opportunity, London, England, May 16, 2013
• Speaker, Introduction to the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act in the Context of International Franchising, Franchise Expo South Conference, Miami, FL, January 12, 2013
• Speaker, Ancillary Agreements: The Other Contracts Needed in the Franchise Relationship, Franchising: Your Backstage Pass, ABA Forum on Franchising, Los Angeles, CA, October 3-5, 2012
• Speaker, Registration: Understanding the State Franchise Registration Framework, International Franchise Association's 45th Annual Legal Symposium, Washington, D.C., May 2012
• Speaker, Selling Franchises Domestically Without Getting into Trouble, Franchise Expo South Conference, Miami, FL, January 15, 2011, January 21, 2012 (Also at Chicago, Illinois Office)