Alan R. Greenfield concentrates his practice on domestic and international franchising, licensing and distribution matters. Alan works with both experienced and startup franchise companies in structuring franchise programs and drafting franchise-related documents. He counsels franchisors and manufacturers on everyday compliance and other franchise or distributor-related issues, such as registration and disclosure matters, negotiating agreements, relationship termination laws, maintaining good franchisee/distributor relations, and resolving disputes with franchisees/distributors.
Alan also works on international franchising, licensing and distribution transactions. He counsels a broad range of clients in expanding their brands internationally through various means, such as master franchising, multi-unit licensing and area development. He has helped clients with transactions in countries and regions that include Australia, the Baltics, Barbados, Brazil, Canada, China, Egypt, France, Germany, India, Indonesia, Iraq, Israel, Jamaica, Japan, Kuwait, Macau, Malaysia, Norway, Panama, Peru, the Philippines, Poland, Qatar, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, South Korea, Spain, St. Lucia, Sweden, Thailand, Trinidad and Tobago, the United Arab Emirates, the United Kingdom and Vietnam.
Alan is also experienced in mergers and acquisitions, with a focus on franchise/distribution transactions, and general corporate law.
Areas of Concentration
· Franchise/distribution agreements - domestic and international
· Medical device manufacturer distributorships
· Mergers and acquisitions
· Corporate law
Professional & Community Involvement
· Member, American Bar Association
- Forum on Franchising
- Liaison, Young Lawyers Division, Franchise Forum Governing Committee, 2011-2013
· Member, Florida Bar Association
· Member, Illinois Bar Association
Awards & Recognition
· Team Member, Corporate Board Member magazine and FTI Consulting Inc., one of "America's Best Corporate Law Firms," 13th Annual Legal Industry Study, 2013
· Listed, Super Lawyers magazine, Illinois Super Lawyers, "Rising Star," 2009-2013
· Represented a Miami-based private equity firm in its acquisition of a jewelry and watch repair franchise program.
· Represented an investment partnership in its acquisition of a health club franchise program.
· Advised a private equity firm and quick-service restaurant franchise program regarding franchise law matters in connection with the franchise program's filing for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection.
· Represented a health club franchise program concerning its rebranding of the franchise system.
· Represented a Canada-based franchisor in the home inspection services sector concerning its U.S. and international franchise operations.
· Represented a major oil company concerning the revision of its arrangement with its foreign franchisee in Brazil.
· Represented a Florida-based distributor of chemical products in structuring and on-going advice concerning a sophisticated distribution network in the United States.
· Advised a major oil company regarding franchise law matters in connection with the US$2.5 billion sale of its Southern California refining and marketing businesses, including approximately 800 retail gas stations in Southern California, Nevada and Arizona.°
· Represented a global hotel and casino company in establishing hotel and casino operations in Macau through a license agreement.°
· Represented a UK manufacturer in structuring a sophisticated distribution network in the United States.°
· Represented a global manufacturer of engineered access covers and surface water drainage products concerning its U.S. market entry strategy and structuring of a distribution network in the United States.°
· Represented a U.S.-based franchisor in the business services sector with respect to structuring master franchise agreements throughout the world, including Europe, Asia, Latin America and the Middle East.°
· Represented a Chicago-based private equity firm in its acquisition of a performance-based music franchise program.°
· Represented a major oil company concerning the revision of its arrangement with its foreign franchisees in Japan.°
· Represented a global medical device manufacturer in its post-acquisition integration of more than 60 U.S. and international distributors.°
· Represented a major oil company concerning its domestic and international convenience store franchise operations.°
· Representation of a San Francisco-based private equity firm in its acquisition of a used-car franchise program.°
· Representation of a Chicago-based private equity firm in its acquisition of a casual dining restaurant franchise program (abandoned).°
· Representation of a global medical device manufacturer in its acquisition of a German-based medical equipment franchise program.°
° The above representations were handled by Mr. Greenfield prior to his joining Greenberg Traurig, LLP.
Publications & Presentations
Articles, Lectures & Publications
· Co-Author, "Implementing Surcharge Rules," LJN Franchising Business & Law Alert, Volume 18, Number 12, September 2012 (This article first appeared in the September 2012 issue of LJN's Franchising Business & Law Alert.)
· Quoted, "Costs of Cashless Transactions Raise Conflicts Between Franchises, Card Issuers, Banks," LJN Franchising Business & Law Alert, Volume 18, Number 12, September 2012 (This article first appeared in the September 2012 issue of LJN's Franchising Business & Law Alert.)
· Quoted, "While Lawyers Battle, Franchisors Weigh Wisdom of Surcharges," Franchise Times, September 1, 2012
· Speaker, "Introduction to the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act in the Context of International Franchising," Franchise Expo South, Houston, TX, February 6-8, 2014
· Speaker, "Preparing Your Franchise System for Sale," West Coast Franchise Expo, Anaheim, CA, October 24-26, 2013
· Speaker, "Legal Discussion," International Franchise Association's Franchise Development Seminar, Denver, CO, September 25-26, 2013
· Speaker, "Introduction to the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act in the Context of International Franchising," International Franchise Expo, New York, NY, June 20-22, 2013
· Speaker, "International Franchising - Is it Easier Than You Think?" International Franchising Conference - Discover a World of Opportunity, London, England, May 16, 2013
· Speaker, "Introduction to the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act in the Context of International Franchising," Franchise Expo South Conference, Miami, FL, January 12, 2013
· Speaker, "Ancillary Agreements: The Other Contracts Needed in the Franchise Relationship," Franchising: Your Backstage Pass, ABA Forum on Franchising, Los Angeles, CA, October 3-5, 2012
· Speaker, "Registration: Understanding the State Franchise Registration Framework," International Franchise Association's 45th Annual Legal Symposium, Washington, D.C., May 2012
· Speaker, "Selling Franchises Domestically Without Getting into Trouble," Franchise Expo South Conference, Miami, FL, January 15, 2011, January 21, 2012
(Also at Chicago, Illinois Office)