Alan represents domestic and international clients regarding intellectual property matters, such as trademarks, copyrights, trade dress, domain names, advertising, labeling, registered designs, product configuration, customs filings, and IP litigation, oppositions and cancellations. He also conducts domestic and international availability searches for intellectual property - on behalf of food and beverage clients, fashion clients, consumer products and service companies, and others in need of protecting their brands and IP - and prepares and negotiates licensing agreements and vendor and supplier agreements with distributors, wholesalers and retailers.
Some of Alan's more significant food-, fashion-, and consumer products and service-related matters include:
· Managing domestic and international intellectual property assets for a wide variety of consumer companies; developing strategies for protecting and expanding intellectual property portfolios.
· Enforcing trademarks, copyrights, domain names and other intellectual property rights of clients worldwide.
· Conducting due diligence and negotiating trademark acquisitions and divestitures.
Alan regularly consults with companies seeking to develop global brand strategies and to maintain and apply their intellectual property portfolios. He also has obtained and enforced nontraditional intellectual property protection for clients around the world. He has received multiple orders and judgments from the U.S. Trademark Trial and Appeal Board and federal courts enforcing his clients' trademark and copyright interests.
Before joining the firm, Alan was intellectual property counsel for Edison Brothers Stores Inc., a fashion and footwear company, and owned his own brand name consulting and creation company.
Awards & Recognitions
· The Best Lawyers In America, Copyright Law, Litigation-Intellectual Property, Trademark Law, 2005-2014; St. Louis Trademark Law "Lawyer of the Year," 2014
· Chambers USA, Intellectual Property Law, 2012, 2013
· Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent
Professional Associations & Memberships
· American Bar Association
· The Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis
· International Trademark Association
· The Missouri Bar
· Managing intellectual property assets for specialty food and beverage companies.
· Enforcing trademark and copyright rights for international fashion brand.
· Advising consumer products clients in acquisition and divestiture of national and international trademarks.
· Negotiating multimillion-dollar trademark acquisition agreement.
11.5.12, With New Internet Addresses on the Horizon, Companies Must Actively Guard Their Brands
1.1.12, Overlapping Rights in Designs, Trademarks and Trade Dress, Overlapping Intellectual Property Rights, Oxford University Press
1.1.03, Don't Be a Name Dropper: Save and Strengthen Your Company's Brands through a Trademark Management Program, ACCA Docket