Aliza R. Karetnick is a Philadelphia-based trial partner with a diverse national practice focusing on complex commercial and intellectual property litigation on behalf of an array of businesses. Ms. Karetnick also has extensive experience defending individual and class action employment and matters against private and governmental plaintiffs. Ms. Karetnick's experience encompasses all phases of litigation, from motion practice to bench and jury trials, with a particular expertise in preliminary injunction proceedings. Ms Karetnick has been repeatedly recognized as a Pennsylvania Rising Star and has also been named a "Lawyer on the Fast Track."
Ms. Karetnick is a frequent speaker whose engagements include panels and continuing legal education courses concerning trade secrets and employment matters. Ms. Karetnick is a Philadelphia liaison and program coordinator for the Duane Morris Women's Initiative.
Ms. Karetnick is a 1998 graduate of the University of Pennsylvania Law School, where she was an articles editor of the University of Pennsylvania Journal of Constitutional Law and a Penn Public Interest Scholar. She is a magna cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa graduate of Bates College.
Areas of Practice
· Commercial Litigation
· Intellectual Property Litigation
· Employment Litigation/Pattern and Practice Class Action Defense
· Obtained a complete victory prior to trial for AcademyOne, Inc., a Pennsylvania-based internet company, in action brought by a competitor alleging violations of RICO, the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act, and the Lanham Act. CollegeSource, Inc. v. AcademyOne, Inc., 2011 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 43684 (E.D. Pa. Apr. 22, 2011) (dismissing RICO claims); 2012 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 153197 (E.D. Pa. Oct. 25, 2012) (granting summary judgment).
· Defense of a multi-national company that designs, engineers and builds offshore oil drilling structures in trade secrets and copyright litigation.
· Represent company that designed new offshore floating structure for gas and oil exploration in theft of trade secrets litigation involving new spar design.
· Defense of a closely held national weight-loss company in a nine-year-long pattern-and-practice employment class action resting on sophisticated statistical analysis and complex expert testimony.
· Defense of a closely held regional home builder in a pattern-and-practice employment class action requiring expert statistical analysis.
· Defense of a publicly traded subprime mortgage lender in litigation concerning valuation of securitized assets.
· Defense of a publicly traded subprime mortgage servicer in litigation concerning servicing practices and residual assets.
· Defense of an Internet start-up in litigation pursuant to the Lanham Act.
· Defense of a foreign oil-drilling company in intellectual property/trade secrets dispute.
· Defense of a publicly traded global aseptic food packer in trade secrets dispute.
· Represent mortgage lender in preventing lift-out of key marketing and management group.
· Represent closely held company involved in pharmaceutical industry to enforce non-complete and non-disclosure agreements.
· Represent large multi-national producer of perfumery and flavor chemicals to enforce non-disclosure agreements.
· Defend producer of perfumery and flavor chemicals in commercial and employment matters.
· Duane Morris LLP
- Partner, 2009-present
· WolfBlock LLP
- Partner, 2007-2009
- Associate, 1998-2007
- Pro Bono Coordinator, 2007-2009
· American Bar Association
· Pennsylvania Bar Association
· Philadelphia Bar Association
Honors and Awards
· Named one of 35 "Employees of the Month" in Esquire, Working magazine, Fall 2012
· Named a "Lawyer on the Fast Track" by The Legal Intelligencer, 2011
· Penn Public Interest Scholar
· Shestack fellow
· Selected as a Pennsylvania Rising Star, 2005-2008, 2010
· Students Run Philly Style
- Director, 2008-present
· Public Interest Law Center of Philadelphia
- Director, 2001-2011
· ABA Committee on State Constitutional Rights
- Vice Chair, 2001-2003
Civic and Charitable Activities
· Philadelphia Bar Run Benefitting Support Center for Child Advocates
- Committee Member, 2008-present
· Project H.O.M.E.
- Committee Member, 2008-2010