Alyson Walker Lotman practices in the area of litigation. She is a 2007 cum laude graduate of Villanova University School of Law, where she was editor in chief for the Villanova Environmental Law Journal, and a magna cum laude graduate of Bucknell University.
· Representing Paraguayan client in seeking return of child to home country pursuant to the Hague Convention on the Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction.
· Obtained summary judgment on behalf of a defendant where plaintiff claimed asbestos attributable to the client caused a decedent's mesothelioma and subsequent death. Plaintiff's claims included an attempt to pierce the corporate veil to hold the client liable for its wholly owned subsidiary.
· Drafted motions and provided other trial support for trial team that obtained a defense verdict for a major automotive manufacturer following a five-and-a-half week trial involving a peritoneal mesothelioma claim brought by a 44-year-old gentleman. The matter involved a unique claim for design defect of company's braking system.
· Obtained on behalf of a motor vehicle company, in a significant asbestos-related appeal before the Superior Court of Pennsylvania, a reversal of an order granting a mistrial and a reinstatement of a defense verdict from the Philadelphia Court of Common Pleas.
· Obtained decision from Pennsylvania Supreme Court that the "each and every breath" theory of causation lacks general acceptance under Frye in Betz v. Pneumo Abex.
· Serve as MDL counsel for major automobile manufacturer in MDL-875 In re: Asbestos Products Liability Litigation.
· Duane Morris LLP
- Associate, 2007-present
· Co-author, "FACT Act Promises Transparency in Bankruptcy Trust Claims and Payments for Asbestos Exposure," Duane Morris Alert, November 18, 2013
· Co-author, "'Every Breath' Theory: On Its Last Breaths? Duane Morris Alert, January 22, 2013
· Co-author, "Third Circuit Ruling Affords Defendants Protection from Amended Complaints After Statute of Limitations Runs Out," Duane Morris Alert, September 10, 2012
· Co-author, "Two-disease Rule No More: Pennsylvania Allows Multiple Malignancy Claims," Duane Morris Alert, February 24, 2012
· Co-author, "Top 10 Tips for Defending Mass Torts in New Jersey," New Jersey Lawyer, August 2011
· Co-author, "Preemption of State Court Motor Vehicle Products Liability Claims After Williamson: Is Preemption Over?" CorporateLiveWire, August 2, 2011
· Co-author, "New Pennsylvania Law Limits Joint and Several Liability," Duane Morris Alert, June 29, 2011
· Co-author, "Top 10 Tips for Defending Mass Torts in New Jersey," LJN's Product Liability Law & Strategy, June 2011
· "A Field of Failed Dreams: Problems Passing Effective Ecoterrorism Legislation," Comment published in Villanova Environmental Law Journal, Volume 18, Issue 1