Please note: Amber Steinbeck has started her own firm and may now be reached at 816.804.0210.
Steinbeck Law Firm
3441 Coleman Road
Kansas City, MO 64111
Amber counsels on litigation matters involving all types of product liability claims, commercial disputes, contract claims, personal injury claims, premises liability, prevailing wage and labor law disputes, civil rights and municipality defense and insurance disputes. She is a member of the firms Financial Services team and handles National Association of Securities Dealers (NASD) arbitrations and has represented financial services corporations in Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) enforcement actions.
She has trial experience as lead and co-counsel in state and federal courts in Missouri and Kansas. In addition, she has extensive motion practice experience and has conducted all levels of discovery and has handled mediations and arbitrations. Amber is an experienced appellate advocate and has argued before the U.S. Court of Appeals, Eighth Circuit.
Among her noteworthy accomplishments are these:
• Represented Fortune 100 commercial lender as Kansas City regional team leader in more than 100 matters involving commercial loan litigation, defaults and priority issues.
• Defended local mall client against damage claims totaling nearly $7 million and obtained defense verdict on all counts.
• Represented municipality defendants in U.S. District Court, Western District of Missouri, and obtained judgment in favor of client. Subsequent appeal redefined law in the circuit with regard to retaliation claims.
• Obtained favorable reorganization and annexation for drainage district in trials against various objecting landowners.
Amber served on the firms Diversity Committee and on the Planning Committee for the True North Enrichment Series.
Awards and Recognitions
KC Business, Influential Woman, 2012
• Kansas City Business Journal, Best of the Bar, 2008-2012
• Missouri Bar Pro Bono Wall of Fame, 2011, 2012
• Missouri & Kansas Super Lawyers, Rising Star, Civil Litigation Defense, 2008-2012
• Missouri Lawyers Weekly, Up & Coming Lawyer, 2011; Top Defense Verdict of 2006 for civil rights judgment
Food from the Womens Bar food drive, coordinator, 2011
• Kansas Coalition Against Sexual and Domestic Violence, Board of Directors
• Kansas City Regional Women Veterans Conference, legal volunteer
• UMKC Bloch Business School/Central Exchange Empowered Leader Series, 2007-2008
• Volunteer Attorney Project of Legal Aid of Western Missouri
• Served as Kansas City regional team leader in representing Fortune 100 commercial lender throughout the United States in nearly 100 matters, including commercial loan litigation, defaults and priority issues. The scope of work involved obtaining temporary restraining orders, handling discovery, motion practice and serving as lead counsel in various court and mediation proceedings.
• Counseled publicly traded financial services industry client, defending against matters relating to mortgage servicing and lender liability. Obtained substantive grant of dismissal of all claims.
• Represented Chapter 11 trustee of a surface coal mining company before the Missouri Administrative Hearing Commission.
• Defended local mall client against damage claims totaling nearly $7 million. Obtained defense verdict on all counts, and verdict was later featured in Missouri Lawyers Weekly.
• Assisted in prosecution of an $11 million breach of contract/misrepresentation action relating to a wind farm development in Pennsylvania.
• Obtained favorable reorganization for the largest levee district in the Kansas City, Mo., area against various objecting landowners.
• Member of legal team that assisted in the trial and subsequent resolution of case involving multimillion-dollar stockholder interests and valuation of those interests for several stockholders. The amounts were in excess of $40 million.
• Obtained judgment against construction company for bank client on a multimillion-dollar loan default.
• Represented drainage district in trials against various objecting landowners. Resulted in a favorable reorganization and annexation for the district. Litigation spanned nearly 10 years and involved three trials.
• Obtained judgment in favor of municipality defendants in U.S. District Court, Western District of Missouri. Civil rights judgment was recognized by Missouri Lawyers Weekly as a Top Defense Verdict of 2006. Handled appeal of judgment, which resulted in redefined law in the circuit with regard to retaliation claims.
• Obtained favorable outcome for client in prosecution relating to fraudulent stock transfers.
• Defended client in claims of breach of contract totaling more than $700,000. Case related to the marketing and selling of a bull castration device called the Callicrate Bander. Secured a verdict in clients favor on the counterclaims totaling nearly $300,000. Verdict was featured in Missouri Lawyers Weekly.
• Arbitrated securities matter involving employee misconduct, fraud and employment discrimination.
7.01.11 Husch Blackwell LLP: Leaving a Pro Bono Legacy, AWL Link
2.01.08 New Ethics Program Requirements for Federal Contractors, Seminar
5.01.06 The U.S. Supreme Court Limits Home Searches and Seizures, Missouri Intergovernmental Risk Management Association Newsletter
1.01.04 Municipality Law Update, Missouri Intergovernmental Risk Management Association Annual Meeting
1.01.03 School Law & Liability Issues, Missouri United School Insurance Council Annual Meeting
In The News
10.16.13 In Missouri, 76 Husch Blackwell Attorneys Named 2013 Super Lawyers & Rising Stars
10.15.12 A Combined 84 Husch Blackwell Attorneys are Named 2012 Super Lawyers and Rising Stars in Missouri and Nebraska
3.08.12 KC Business Magazine Names Amber Steinbeck Among 2012 Influential Women
12.15.11 Husch Blackwell Receives 2011 Firm of the Year Honor from the Association for Women Lawyers of Greater Kansas City
10.19.11 Super Lawyers 2011 Names 71 Husch Blackwell Attorneys from Missouri and Nebraska; an Additional 15 Listed as Rising Stars
9.26.11 Kansas City Business Journal Names 10 Husch Blackwell Attorneys to 2011 Best of the Bar
7.19.11 Five Husch Blackwell Attorneys Named 2011 Up & Coming Missouri Attorneys
Real Estate, Development & Construction
10.13.10 Missouri & Kansas Super Lawyers 2010 Names 64 Husch Blackwell Attorneys; An Additional 20 Listed as Rising Stars
9.29.10 Husch Blackwell Attorneys Named Best of the Bar by Kansas City Business Journal
12.14.09 Women Lawyers Name Husch Blackwell Sanders Firm of the Year
Professional Associations and Memberships
American Bar Association
• Association for Women Lawyers of Greater Kansas City, Board of Directors, 2009-present
• Historical Society of the U.S. Courts in the Eighth Circuit, Western District of Missouri Branch
• Kansas Bar Association
• The Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association
• The Missouri Bar
• Missouri Municipal League, participating affiliate
• National Association of Women Lawyers
• Ross T. Roberts Inn of Court