Ms. Poston is a partner in the Norfolk, Virginia office concentrating her practice in Business Law and Estate Planning. She is co-chair of the firm's Government Relations Committee and serves on the Practice Management Committee as trustee of the firm's retirement plan. Ms. Poston is a member and past president of the Norfolk and Portsmouth and Virginia Bar Associations and is also a member of the Virginia State Bar, the American Bar Association and the Virginia Women Attorneys Association. She serves as a member of the Virginia Board of Bar Examiners, having been appointed by the Virginia Supreme Court in 1990. She has been recognized by selection to the Virginia Law Fellows and the ABA Law Foundation Fellows.
Ms. Poston is active in many civic and business-related organizations; she currently serves on the boards of the Hampton Roads Educational Telecommunications Association (WHRO), which she chaired 2002-2004, the Virginia Capitol Foundation, the ACCESS College Scholarship Foundation, the Norfolk Hospital Authority, the Lake Taylor Hospital Foundation, Lutheran Family Services of Virginia, TowneBank-Norfolk division, and the United Way of South Hampton Roads Foundation, where she served as Chair of the Board of Trustees in 2009-2010. From 1985 through 1990, Ms. Poston served on the Board of the Virginia Community College System, and was chair in 1989. She was appointed by the Governor to the Board of Visitors of the College of William & Mary in 2003 and reappointed in 2007. She served on the Norfolk School Board from 1990 to 2002 and as chair of that Board for four years. She was the 1992 recipient of the Professional Woman of Hampton Roads Award and the 2001 recipient of the Citizen Lawyer Award from the William and Mary School of Law.
Ms. Poston was recognized in 2008 with the Humanitarian Award by the Virginia Center for Inclusive Communities and by the William and Mary Law School with the Order of the Coif. In 2009, she received the Influential Women of Virginia Award from Virginia Lawyers Weekly, the Outstanding Woman Award by the YWCA, and the Community Builder Award from the Hampton Roads Community Foundation (formerly the Norfolk Foundation). She is the mother of three children.
Ms. Poston has also been recognized among Best Lawyers in America and Virginia Legal Elite.
Professional & Community Activities
· TowneBank, Norfolk Division, Board of Directors
· Virginia Capitol Foundation, Board of Directors
· Norfolk Hospital Authority, Board of Directors
· Hampton Roads Educational Telecommunications Assoc. (WHRO Television and Radio), Board of Directors (Chairman, 2002 to 2004)
· ACCESS Scholarship Foundation, Board of Directors
· Lutheran Family Services of Virginia, Board of Directors
· ODU Community Development Corporation, Board of Directors
· Virginia Board of Bar Examiners (1990 to present)
· Virginia Bar Association (President, 2000)
· Virginia State Bar
· United Way of South Hampton Roads Foundation, Board of Trustees (Chairman, 2009-2010)
· Norfolk and Portsmouth Bar Association (President, 1999)
· American Bar Association
· Virginia Women Attorneys Association
· Tidewater Estate Planning Council
· American Inns of Court, member emeritus
· Godwin Society of Virginia Community College System
· CIVIC Leadership Institute
· Fellows Council of Virginia Law Foundation
· ACI-NA Legal Committee
· American Association of Airport Executives
· William & Mary, Board of Visitors, 2003-11
· Citizen-Lawyer Award presented by Law School Association of Marshall-Wythe School of Law, College of William and Mary, 2001
· Barron F. Black Community Builder Award presented by Hampton Roads Community Foundation, 2007
· Humanitarian Award presented by Virginia Center for Inclusive Communities, 2008
· Order of the Coif
· Professional Woman of Hampton Roads Award, 1992
· Best Lawyers' 2013 Norfolk Health Care Law "Lawyer of the Year"
· Influential Women of Virginia, 2009 - Virginia Lawyers Weekly
· YWCA Outstanding Woman Award, 1999
· Best Lawyers in America
· Virginia Law Foundation fellow
· American Bar Association fellow
· Women in Business Achievement Award, Inside Business 2003
· Virginia Legal Elite
· Virginia Women Attorneys Association Award of Distinction, 2006
· Representing businesses and individuals in a broad civil practice. Currently serving as general counsel for Norfolk Airport Authority and representing major international insurance carrier in defense of claims on probate bonds and other matters, with additional areas of specialty including health law, estate planning and administration.
· The Best Lawyers in America 2014 Lists 23 Vandeventer Black Attorneys