Area of Emphasis:
Redevelopment plans, zoning ordinances and designation of renewal areas
Property acquisition including development of appraisals in anticipation of condemnation, negotiation of acquisitions, and condemnation
Contracts between public entity responsible for implementation of redevelopment and private redevelopers (including responses to requests for proposal)
Loan and grant applications and agreements in connection with governmental assistance for redevelopment projects
Bankruptcy proceedings affecting redevelopment project participants
Litigation and appeals involving all of the above in federal and state courts.
Representative Speaking and Writing Experience:
Ms. Babineau has lectured on redevelopment issues for New Jersey Institute of Continuing Legal Education, Rutgers/Department of Community Affairs, New Jersey Bar Association, American Planning Association and New Jersey Builder's Association, among others. She has been admitted to membership in The Counselors of Real Estate, Chambers USA, and the American College of Real Estate Lawyers. In addition, she has served as an officer or member of several industry organizations including New Jersey Future, NAIOP and Urban Land Institute. She has also authored articles for New Jersey Law, Urban Land, New Jersey Lawyer and other publications and is a contributing author for Commercial Real Estate Transactions in New Jersey (Redevelopment chapter). She has been selected for inclusion in New Jersey Super Lawyers magazine, 2005-2014, and listed in The Best Lawyers in America in their 1999/2000, 2005-2015 editions.
Utility, Telecommunications, and Energy Law:
Represented Public Service Electric and Gas Company and Verizon New Jersey Inc.
Merger Approvals - applications before the Board of Public Utilities on behalf of Verizon New Jersey, Elizabethtown Water Company, Thames Water Holdings Incorporated, RWE, New Jersey Natural Gas Company
Served as vice president, general counsel and corporate secretary of Bell Atlantic-New Jersey, 1996-1997 (Legal department function was outsourced to Wilentz, Goldman & Spitzer)
• Clearing the Way for Smart Growth
• Finding the Sweet Spot - Grow NJ and ERG Grant Incentives Are Fundamentally About Bringing Investment and Jobs to the Right Location
• Gallenthin: Reaffirming NJ's Progressive Views of Redevelopment Law
• Gallthen Realty Development, Inc. v. Borough of Paulsboro: Supreme Court Clarifies Definition of Blight.
• Grow New Jersey Tax Credit Program Expanded
• Harmonizing Land Use and Redevelopment
• In New Jersey, Property Condition Is Still the Focus
• Non-Residential Development Fee portions of Economic Stimulus Act
• The Electric Discount and Energy Competition Act - A Landmark in the Evolution Toward Retail Choice
• The New Local Redevelopment and Housing Law: Enhanced Redevelopment Opportunities - Not Just for Urban Municipalities