Anthony J. Abate's practice involves commercial disputes of any nature in the form of business litigation and alternative dispute resolution, with an emphasis on construction, probate and trust, foreclosure and eminent domain litigation.
A large portion of Tony's practice is devoted to all aspects of construction transactions and disputes, including contract drafting, review and negotiation, payment claims, mechanics' lien proceedings, breach of contract, construction defect allegations, construction contract disputes, delay damages suits, lien foreclosure, performance bonds, and negligence. Tony represents construction companies, contractor's sureties, subcontractors, developers, construction suppliers, property owners, lenders, design professionals, individuals, and families.
Tony is Board Certified in Construction Law, one of only 278 lawyers statewide to receive this distinction. Lawyers certified in construction law deal with matters relating to the design and construction of improvements on private and public projects including, but not limited to, construction dispute resolution, contract negotiation, preparation, award and administration, lobbying governmental hearings, oversight and document review, construction scheduling analysis and delay claims, lending and insurance, construction licensing, and the analysis and litigation of problems arising out of the Florida Construction Lien Law, section 255.05, Florida Statutes, and the federal Miller Act, 40 U.S.C. §§ 3131-3134. Upon graduation from law school, Tony clerked for Justice Richard Mills of the 4th District Court of Appeals of Illinois. As a clerk, his duties included review and research of appellate cases, as well as attendance at oral arguments.
Tony has authored multiple works for both The Florida Bar and various industry publications. He co-authored a portion of the Florida Construction Law and Practice Manual entitled, "Rights and Liabilities of the General Contractor." His construction practice has resulted in the representation of clients throughout the Southeastern United States.
He has been certified by the Florida Supreme Court as a mediator and has acted in this capacity in multiple mediations. He has served as an arbitrator for various disputes on behalf of the American Arbitration Association.
· AV® Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
· Best Lawyers in America, 2013
· Florida Super Lawyer by Super Lawyers magazine, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013
Professional and Community Affiliations
· Florida Bar Board of Governors, 1999-2003
· Florida Bar Board Review Committee on Professional Ethics
· Florida Bar Rules Committee
· Florida Bar Disciplinary Procedures Committee
· Florida Bar Communications Committee
· Florida Bar Disciplinary Review Committee
· Florida Bar Board Liaison, Computer Law Committee
· Florida Bar Business Law Section
· Florida Bar Professional Ethics Committee
· Florida Bar Special Committee on Multi-Jurisdictional Practice
· Florida Bar Grievance Committee for the Twelfth Judicial Circuit
· The 12th Circuit Committee on Professionalism
· Chief Justice's Advisory Committee for the 2004 Tobias Simon Pro Bono Awards
· Sarasota County Bar Association, former Board of Directors
· Better Business Counsel of the Sarasota Chamber of Commerce, former Legal Counsel
· YMCA Youth and Family Services Corporation, former Director and Secretary
· Associated General Contractors of Greater Florida
· Boys & Girls Clubs of Sarasota County, Board of Directors, Chair
Banking and Financial Institutions