Arturo Pérez-Estrada has more than 12 years of experience in corporate, insurance, privacy and corporate finance law. Arturo is experienced in negotiating and completing high profile joint-ventures, and obtaining authorizations for financial, securities broker-dealers, insurance, and reinsurance companies and brokers. He provides advice on regulatory compliance requirements and deals with complex legal cases involving, among others, corporate finance, private equity, multi-party agreements, mergers and acquisitions, corporate governance, and foreign investment matters across several industries, such as mining, aviation, insurance, pharmaceutical, retail and automotive. He also provides advice for the implementation of innovative micro-credit lending programs, compliance with anti-money laundering financial regulations, eSignature provisions in Mexico, banking regulations for several products such as prepaid cards, eWallets and, in general, the legal regime applicable for the establishment of third party networks acting as bank agents or service providers. Arturo has led the negotiation of exploration, association and joint venture agreements for the mining industry.
Arturo's practice as an international attorney is focused on capital markets, participating in Rule 144A and Reg S private placements under the U.S. securities laws, and negotiating MTN programs, including the elaboration of offering circulars, indentures, agency and securities purchase agreements.
Areas of Concentration
· Corporate finance
· Banking regulation
Professional & Community Involvement
· Member, Mexican Bar Association
· Member, U.S.-Mexico Bar Association
Awards & Recognition
· Member, Winning Team, Acquisition International magazine, "Overall Law Firm of the Year - Mexico," 2013
· Member, Winning Team, Acquisition International magazine, "Most Trusted Law Firm of the Year - Mexico," 2013
· Member, Winning Team, InterContinental Finance, "Merges & Acquisitions Firm of the Year - Mexico," 2013
· Member, Winning Team, Lawyers World Law Awards, "Merges & Acquisitions Firm of the Year - Mexico," 2013
· Member, Winning Team, DealMakers, "Law Firm of the Year - Mergers & Acquisitions - Mexico," 2012-2013
· Participated in private bond offerings from Latin American issuers under Rule 144A and Reg S of the Securities Laws of the U.S., including the Lima Airport Partners awarded infrastructure bond financing in Peru.
· Acted as legal counsel for second largest mobile services provider in Mexico during the negotiation of the formation of the shareholders' pool which won the bidding process for CFE's dark fiber optic and committed and investment more than US$160 million.
· Led the negotiation of a joint venture agreement and formation of a JV company formed by a Canadian mining company and Mexican mining conglomerate for the exploration of a mine located in Durango, Mexico.
· Member of the legal team in charge of the acquisition of the Mexican subsidiary of a Spanish pharmaceutical company.
· Provided legal counsel for issues related to voting agreements, anti-money laundering, extraterritorial application of foreign laws in Mexico (antidote laws), micro-lending programs, investment in regulated entities, mobile banking accounts, branch-less banking, niche banking, eCommerce and personal data protection.
· Provided legal advice to one of the world's biggest credit card and payment processor in connection with banking regulation, prepaid products and privacy laws.
· Acted as team leader representing the financial branch of a technology company during a private equity investment round for the deployment of a "Wimax" network for broadband Internet services.
· Member of the legal team in charge of the incorporation of the first title insurance company in Mexico, and provided legal regulatory advice during the last 10 years.
· Led the incorporation process and regulatory approvals for the incorporation of an insurance broker and factoring company for a Spanish mobile network operator.
· Led the negotiation of a joint venture between two Canadian mining companies for the exploitation of a silver mine in Mexico with a committed investment of more than US$16 million.
· Member of the legal team representing a port and terminal operator from Hong Kong during a time-critical negotiation for the formation of a joint venture company with Mexican and English shipping partners for the provision of cross-border maritime transportation services within the Gulf of Mexico.
· Acted as legal representative responsible of the purchase and sale of a US$5 million real estate portfolio owned by an American company.
· Provided legal counsel for one of the main shareholders of a low-cost airline carrier during the exit operation of its former partners (a public TV company and a mobile telephone company).
· Acted as team leader for the incorporation of a reinsurance broker in Mexico.
· Represented a leading Spanish mobile services provider in the US$1.36 billion acquisition of four cellular companies in the north of Mexico, and subsidiaries.
· Negotiated the introduction and marketing of extended warranty products in their stores provided by a Mexican subsidiary of an American company with the biggest retail stores in Mexico.
· Participated on the legal team dealing with the negotiation of the amendments of the terms and conditions for medium-term note programs of Mexican issuers listed in Luxemburg.
Some of the above representations were handled by Mr. Pérez-Estrada prior to him joining Greenberg Traurig, S.C.
· Intern, Garcia Barragan y Villela, Corporate and Foreign Investment, 1998-1999
Publications & Presentations
Articles, Lectures & Publications
· Note Author, Regarding the Federal Personal Data Protection Law, Official Gazette, July 5, 2010
· Author, "Secured Lending - Mexico," Latin Lawyer Reference Section Online - Secured Lending, 2008-2010
· Note Author, Regarding the Amendments Made to the Commerce Code and the General Law for Commercial Entities (LGSM), Official Gazette, June 2, 2009
· Speaker, "Insurance Without Borders," 20th Annual International Conference, Professional Liability Underwriting Society, Washington, D.C., November 2007
· Speaker, Underwriting and Claims Conference, Stewart Title Guaranty de México, S.A. de C.V., Puerto Vallarta, Mexico 2004