Barry Senterfitt focuses his practice on the insurance and managed care industries. His practice includes assisting clients with acquisitions and mergers of insurers, HMOs and insurance agencies; holding company transactions for insurers and HMOs, including state insurance holding company act compliance; HMO formation and licensure; insurance company formation and licensure, including offshore captives; redomestications of insurers; demutualizations and other complex corporate reorganizations; financial and reinsurance issues for insurers and HMOs; and plans of rehabilitation for insolvent or troubled insurers.
Barry has experience in designing and structuring innovative insurance marketing/distribution systems; acquisitions of insurance charters out of receivership; regulatory issues for life, health and property/casualty insurers and Medicaid and Medicare insurers/HMOs; formations of insurance purchasing cooperatives; risk-based capital requirements for insurers and corporate restructuring relating thereto; insurance asset sales through assumption and portfolio reinsurance; regulatory issues affecting health care provider groups, and product design and approval for insurers and HMOs.
Areas of Concentration
· Insurance regulatory
Professional & Community Involvement
· Texas Bar Foundation (Fellow)
· Member, American Bar Association
· Member, Surplus Lines Law Group
· Former Board Member, SafePlace
· Former President, CASA of Travis County
· Former Vice Chair, ABA Committee on the Public Regulation of Insurance Law
Awards & Recognition
· Listed, The Best Lawyers in America, Insurance Law, 2008-2014
· Listed, Texas' Best Lawyers, 2009-2010
· Listed, World's Leading Insurance & Reinsurance Lawyers (8th Ed.)
· Rated, AV Preeminent® 5.0 out of 5
· Represented insurance companies, HMOs and insurance brokers in various transactions, including:
- Acquisition of Wisconsin and Texas Medicaid business from Humana.°
- Acquisition of GAINSCO County Mutual by Liberty Mutual.°
- Acquisition of GlobalHealth by Heritage Health System.
- Acquisition of Monticello Insurance Company by Max Re.°
- Sale of General Agents Insurance Company to Montpelier Re U.S. Holdings.°
- Sale of SCOR Life by SCOR Global Life.
· Represented reorganizations/redomestications including the demutualization of Millers Mutual Insurance Company (conversion to stock company).°
· Drafted fronting arrangements and unique reinsurance transactions for companies.
· Counseled on formations and holdings company structures for insurance companies and HMOs.
°The above representations were handled by Mr. Senterfitt prior to his joining Greenberg Traurig, LLP.
· Former Briefing Attorney, Supreme Court of Texas, 1986-1987
Publications & Presentations
Articles, Lectures & Publications
· Columnist, "Letter of the Law," Managed Care Executive
· Co-Author, "Silent PPO Regulation Under Increased Scrutiny," Managed Healthcare Executive, October 2009
· Contributing Author, "Regulatory Aspects of Insurance Transactions," Insurance Law Deal Strategies: Leading Lawyers on Analyzing Insurance Claims, Negotiating Settlements, and Maximizing the Value of the Attorney (Inside the Minds), Aspatore Books, 2008