Becky is a senior shareholder of the Davis Brown Law Firm in the Litigation Division. She has a general practice in, but not limited to, labor and employment law, education law, family law and professional licensing.
Labor and Employment Law
In the Labor and Employment area, Becky advises both public and private sector clients. She has been involved in litigation and advising clients on employment matters including handbooks and policies, compliance with local, state and federal laws, discipline and discharge, collective bargaining, grievance arbitration, employee organization and union organizing issues, unfair labor and prohibited practices, professional conduct and licensing, civil rights, OSHA, workers' compensation, wage and hour compliance, drug testing, and individual employment, compensation and severance agreements. Her litigation practice includes appearing before state and federal courts, the NLRB and Iowa PERB, and a variety of administrative agencies at the trial and appellate levels.
Becky represents educators and school employees in employment disputes before school boards and committees, agencies, and state and federal courts. Issues addressed include discipline, termination, promotion and tenure matters, licensure, collective bargaining, grievances and other employment matters. Becky also represents students in discipline, discrimination and injury matters.
In the Family Law area, Becky advises clients concerning pre-marital agreements, divorce and dissolution of marriage issues, and post-divorce compliance, enforcement and modification issues. She frequently deals with issues concerning large asset cases, business and asset valuation, pension and retirement account division, spousal support and the tax aspects of valuation and asset transfer.
Becky has been trained as a mediator, completing a forty-hour course of instruction at Washington University in St. Louis, Missouri, and is listed with the Polk County Mediation project.
Becky is the past chair of the Polk County Bench and Bar Committee. She is a past member of the Iowa State Bar Association Insurance Plans Committee, Iowa State Bar Association, Labor and Employment Law Section Council and the Iowa Senate Ethics Committee. She is also a member of the Judicial Administration Committee and the Judicial Plebiscite subcommittee.
Seminars, Lectures and Publications
•“ Issues in Employment Law, ” NCMIC, June 2015.
• Paychecks and Plaintiffs, Davis Brown Spring Seminar, April 2015.
• Leaves and Returns - Working Through the Maze, Davis Brown Spring Seminar, April 2015.
• Wage and Hour Law, Central Iowa Chapter, Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM), October 2012 and September 2012.
• Labor Organizing, Webinar, Davis Brown Law Firm, October 2012.
• AV - Preeminent rated by Martindale-Hubbell. An AV - - certification mark is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence. A lawyer must be admitted to the bar for 10 years or more to receive an AV - rating.
•Best Lawyers in America, Administrative/Regulatory Law and Education Law
•Best Lawyers' 2014 Des Moines Education Law Lawyer of the Year
•Chambers USA, Labor & Employment, Iowa Ranked Band 3, 2015
•2015 Great Plains Super Lawyers, Employment & Labor
•2014 Super Lawyers Business Edition, Employment & Labor
In the community, Becky is an alumnus of the Greater Des Moines Leadership Institute; the past president and vice president of the Board of Directors of Goodwill Industries of Central Iowa; past board member of Iowa Youth Choruses; current board member for the Wine Group; board member of Children and Families of Iowa Foundation; and is active in St. Mark Lutheran Church, where she serves as President of the Church Council. Becky has also served as Counsel to the Republican Party of Iowa.
• Eighteen Davis Brown Attorneys Named Great Plains Super Lawyers 2015
• Issues in Employment Law
• 16 Davis Brown Attorneys Among Best in the 2015 Chambers USA Rankings
• 2015 Spring Seminar Leaves and Returns-Working Through the Maze
• 2015 Spring Seminar Paychecks and Plaintiffs
• Davis Brown Premier Sponsor of Leadership Education and Advancement Pipeline (LEAP)
• Becky S. Knutson to Present at Central Iowa SHRM Meeting
• 2014 Employment Law Seminar - Sometimes We Get Along and Sometimes We Don't - Relationship Issues for Employers
• 33 Davis Brown attorneys named Best Lawyers in America
• Chambers USA Ranks 14 Davis Brown Attorneys among Best in the U.S.
• Webinar - Employment Law Seminar - Tackling Every Day (and Every-Once-In-A-While) Wage and Hour Issues
• Webinar - Employment Law Seminar - Mediation - What Happens Behind Closed Doors?
• Employment Law Blog: The Continuing Saga of the NLRB Recess Appointments and Fallout
• Employment Law Blog: Happy Valentine's Day - Maybe!
• Employment Law: NLRB Recess Appointments Unconstitutional
• Employment Law Blog: Attraction and Jealousy - Not Discrimination
• Webinar- Labor Organizing
• Becky Knutson to Present Webinar on Labor Organizing
• Three Davis Brown Attorneys to Present at 2012 FMLA Master Class for Iowa Employers: Overcoming Compliance and Employee Leave Challenges
• 32 Davis Brown Attorneys Selected for The Best Lawyers in America 2013
• The New NRLB Rules: What is the Current Status?
• Webinar - Employee Pay Issues
• Becky Knutson will be presenting oral arguments before the Iowa Court of Appeals