- Health & Safety
- Human Rights
- Oil & Gas
|Mailing Address||Suite 5300, TD Bank Tower, Toronto Dominion Centre, Toronto, ON, M5K 1E6|
|University ||University of Alberta, Bachelor of Commerce, 2005 Gold Medallist; University of Calgary, Intensive Trial Advocacy Workshop, 2011|
|Law School||Osgoode Hall Law School, J.D., 2008|
|Admitted||2009, Alberta; 2012, Ontario|
Ben Aberant is an associate in the firm's Labour & Employment Group. He practises in both Toronto and Calgary and advises clients on both Ontario and Alberta law.
Mr. Aberant represents management in a variety of labour and employment issues including employment standards, occupational health and safety, workers' compensation, wrongful dismissals, labour board proceedings, grievances, and labour arbitrations. He has significant experience advising on employment issues arising in mergers and acquisitions and frequently works with the firm's corporate group on transactions.
Mr. Aberant advises both provincially and federally regulated employers and has conducted unjust dismissal hearings under the Canada Labour Code. He also frequently advises on human rights issues, including defence of claims, and has been the lead investigator in workplace investigation matters.
Mr. Aberant also advises clients on privacy issues arising in the workplace.
Mr. Aberant received his Bachelor of Commerce (2005) from the University of Alberta where he was the Gold Medallist and his J.D. from Osgoode Hall Law School (2008). He also attended the Intensive Trial Advocacy Workshop (2011) at the University of Calgary.
Prior to his legal studies, Mr. Aberant served in the United States Marine Corps as an Infantryman. He was called to the Alberta bar in 2009 and the Ontario bar in 2012.
· LIUNA, Local 183, v. Bentall and Hallmark, (2013) O.L.R.D. No. 3505
· Kish v. LDM Yorkton Corp., 2013 C.L.A.D. No. 211
· 760437 Alberta Ltd. v. Fabutan Corp., 2012 ABQB 266
· Qualex-Landmark Investments Inc. v. Soroya, 2011 ABQB 354
· "Mental Distress - Get Ready To Prove It", CBA National Labour & Employment Law Subsection Newsletter, November, 2011
· "Be Safe - Or Else", Oilsands Review, July, 2011
· "Enforcing Safety", Construction Business, Nov/Dec, 2010
· "Honda & Keays: Not So Employer-Friendly After All?", CBA National Labour & Employment Law Subsection Newsletter, June, 2010
· "Troubled Times: Enhanced Employee Protection in CCAA Restructurings", CBA National Labour & Employment Subsection Newsletter, January, 2010
· "In an Economic Downturn are Less Reasons Needed and Fewer Second Chances Granted?" presented at the Incisive Media Western Canada Employee Terminations & Restructuring Conference, September, 2009
(Also at Calgary, Alberta Office)
Documents by this lawyer on Martindale.com
|Profile Visibility |
|#1,604 in weekly profile views out of 17,330 lawyers in Toronto, Ontario|
|#131,925 in weekly profile views out of 1,530,397 total lawyers Overall|