- Labor & Employment
- Class Action Litigation
- Intellectual Property
- Intellectual Property Litigation
- Consumer Finance
- Whistleblower Defense
|Contact Info||Telephone: 757.499.8800|
|University ||Johns Hopkins University, B.A., 1980|
|Law School||University of Pennsylvania Law School, J.D., 1983|
|Admitted||1983, Pennsylvania; 1984, New Jersey; 1987, Virginia|
|Born||Montclair, New Jersey, July 20, 1958|
Beth Hirsch Berman focuses her practice primarily in the area of employment law providing advice, training and defense to clients in all aspects of employment law including Title VII, ADA, FMLA, ADEA, FLSA, EPA, and the WARN Act and covenants not to compete. Ms. Berman devotes a large part of her practice to the retail industry defending employers in FLSA and Title VII collective and class actions with issues involving improper classification, off-the-clock and time-shaving, unequal pay for female employees and violations of rest and meal period requirements.
In addition to her employment law practice, Ms. Berman also maintains an intellectual property practice assisting clients in registering and licensing trademarks and copyrights and litigating infringement claims on their behalf. Ms. Berman brought the first successful cybersquatting case in the Norfolk Division of federal court.
Before joining the firm, Ms. Berman was a partner with Hofheimer Nusbaum, P.C., which merged with Williams Mullen in 2004. She has also worked as an attorney for the defense department.
Ms. Berman is a member of the American Bar Association, Virginia State Bar, New Jersey State Bar, Pennsylvania State Bar, and the Norfolk and Portsmouth Bar Association. She currently serves on the board of directors of the Tidewater Children's Foundation, Planned Parenthood and the U.S. Chamber of Commerce's Wage and Hour Subcommittee. She is a past member of the Lead Hampton Roads board of trustees and a lifetime member of Hadassah. Formerly, Ms. Berman served on the executive committee and the board of directors of the Hebrew Academy of Tidewater and on the advisory board for Virginia Beach Public Schools.
Ms. Berman has been named to Virginia Business magazine's list of "The Legal Elite" and, in 2012, was named a "Super Lawyer" by Virginia Super Lawyers magazine.
She received her bachelor of arts degree in international relations from The Johns Hopkins University in 1980. She received her law degree from The University of Pennsylvania School of Law in 1983.
· Served as counsel in a patent infringement case brought in Los Angeles federal court. The accused product was manufactured in China and Williams Mullen litigated the case all the way through discovery, Markman claim construction proceedings, and summary judgment. Case settled immediately prior to trial.
· Defended national retailer against wage-and-hour claims.
· Served as counsel in a trademark infringement case brought in the Eastern District of Virginia, Alexandria Division. Conducted discovery, briefing and oral argument on cross-motions for summary judgment at District Court level. Decision upheld on appeal to the United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit.
· Defended retailer against class action claims under the Fair Labor Standards Act.
· Defended national discount retailer against claims of copyright, trade dress, and patent infringement. Case settled.
American Bar Association
Norfolk and Portsmouth Bar Association
U.S. Chamber of Commerce - Wage and Hour Subcommittee
Awards & Honors
Listed in "Legal Elite," by Virginia Business magazine - Labor/Employment
Listed in Super Lawyers magazine, Employment & Labor, 2012
· Hadassah - Lifetime Member
· Hebrew Academy - Former Executive Committee and Board of Directors
· Lead Hampton Roads - Board of Trustees
· Planned Parenthood - Board of Directors
· Tidewater Children's Foundation - Board of Directors
· Virginia Beach Forum - Board of Directors
· Virginia Beach Public Schools - Former Advisory Board Member
(Also at Norfolk Office)
Documents by this lawyer on Martindale.com
View Ratings & Reviews
|Profile Visibility |
|#150 in weekly profile views out of 1,211 lawyers in Virginia Beach, Virginia|
|#21,000 in weekly profile views out of 1,509,349 total lawyers Overall|