Bill Hearn has extensive experience in competition (including advertising & marketing), transportation, international trade, corporate/commercial, and regulatory law. He advises businesses, charities, governments, Crown agencies and trade associations. A recognized leader in many fields, Bill is ranked in Martindale-Hubbell, Lexpert, Who's Who Legal, and Best Lawyers in Canada.
Bill practises several specialized areas of business law, including:
• advertising & marketing (as well as consumer protection & privacy and with a focus on the automotive, aviation, consumer products, energy, food & beverage, financial services, sports & entertainment, retail and pharmaceutical sectors)
• corporate & commercial (including reorganizations, complex agreements and corporate governance for businesses as well as charities and not-for-profit entities)
• competition (in particular, pricing & distribution practices and compliance programs & audits)
• government procurement (especially for the defense industry)
• international business and trade (primarily in the agricultural, health care, education, and liquor sectors)
• private mergers & acquisitions (especially in regulated industries such as for-profit post-secondary education)
• regulatory (in such diverse areas as agri-chemical products, gaming, health professions, liquor, marine ports, and post-secondary education)
• transportation (with a focus on marine)
Bill has a high BV® Distinguished peer and client rating in Martindale-Hubbell. He has been listed as one of Canada's leading shipping and maritime lawyers in Who's Who Legal which describes him as a "gifted lawyer with a broad client base." Bill is also listed in Lexpert and Best Lawyers in Canada as a leader in Advertising and Marketing Law.
Bill is a frequent writer and presenter on topics relating to his specialized areas of practice.
Best Lawyer in Canada, Advertising & Marketing Law, 2013-2014
Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, Advertising & Marketing Law, 2012-2013
Who's Who Legal, Leading Shipping and Maritime Lawyer, 2010
BV® Distinguished Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
The Law Society of Upper Canada, since 1988
Association of Canadian Port Authorities, Law Committee Member, 1999-2013
American Bar Association, Section of Anti-trust Law, Consumer Protection Committee Member, since 2011
NABS: National Advertising Benevolent Society of Canada, Director and Executive Committee Member, 2004-2009
Canadian Marketing Association, Ethics and Privacy Committee Member, since 2004
Canada-U.S. Law Institute, Advisory Board Member, 2007-2010.