Practice/Industry Group Overview
Borden Ladner Gervais' entire Mergers & Acquisitions Group consists of over 130 lawyers who practice in this area, including securities law, competition, tax and other specialists, and members of our Corporate Commercial Group who deal with private M & A. Members of our Securities and Capital Markets Group focus on public M & A including take-over bids, amalgamations and mergers, plans of arrangement, reorganizations including income trust reorganizations, and spin-offs and sales. We represent all types of "players" in such transactions, including buyers, sellers, targets, investment bankers, boards of directors, special committees, commercial banks providing acquisition financing, merchant banks, institutional investors, buyout funds and arbitrageurs. BLG's Mergers & Acquisitions practitioners offer clients experience and expertise coupled with an unwavering commitment to achieve client objectives on a timely and efficient basis.
Our recent Mergers & Acquisitions experience includes advising :
- Magma Energy Corp. in connection with its US$88 million acquisition of HS Orka from Geysir Green Energy ehf
- Voyager Energy Inc. in connection with its $40 million acquisition by Niko Resources
- Western Energy Services Corp. in connection with its $66 million acquisition of Horizon Drilling Ltd. and its $26 million take-over bid for Cedar Creek Drilling Ltd.
- Kogas Canada Ltd., a wholly owned subsidiary of Korea Gas Corporation in connection with a $565 million farmout agreement with EnCana Corporation regarding 50% of Encana's working interest in certain British Columbia natural gas properties.
- Queenston Mining Inc. in connection with its $20.5 million acquisition of Vault Minerals Inc.
- Loblaw Companies Limited in its $225 million agreement to acquire T & T Supermarket Inc. for cash and preferred shares
- Compania Minera Carmen de Andacollo, in its $300 million sale of a royalty interest in the Andacollo mine to Royal Gold, Inc.
- PowerStream Inc. in its $800 million amalgamation with Barrie Hydro
- Teck Cominco Limited in its acquisition of assets of Fording Canadian Coal Trust valued at $14 billion (as tax counsel)
- PBS Coals Corporation in its $1 billion acquisition by an affiliate of OAO Severstal Resources by way of takeover bid and in its earlier $820 million reverse takeover of Penfold Capital Acquisition Corporation
- Hewlett-Packard Company in its $13.9 billion merger with Electronic Data Systems Corporation
- Phillips, Hager & North Investment Management in its $1.36 billion acquisition by Royal Bank of Canada
- CanElson Drilling in its $78 million merger with EMR Drilling Inc.
- CertainTeed Insulation Canada, Inc., in its $81 million acquisition of the assets of OFI Income Fund
- Bonterra Energy Income Trust in its acquisitions of Silver Wing Energy Inc. and SRX Post Holdings Inc. and conversion from income trust to corporation, in transactions with an aggregate value of approximately $472 million
- Toronto Hydro Corporation in its $200 million sale of Toronto Hydro Telecom Inc. to Cogeco Cable Canada Inc.
- Eldorado Gold Corporation in the $70 million sale of Sao Bento Gold Limited to AngloGold Ashanti and in its $148 million acquisition of Frontier Pacific Mining Corporation by way of takeover bid
- A special committee of the board of Medisys Health Group Income Fund in its $48 million going private transaction by way of insider bid
- Northern Peru Copper Ltd. in its $455 million acquisition by China Minmetals Non-Ferrous Metals Co., Ltd., and Jiangxi Copper Company Ltd.
- Finning International Inc. in its $135 million acquisition of Collicutt Energy Services Ltd. by way of takeover bid
- NovaGold Resources Inc. in its successful defence against Barrick Gold Corp.'s $1.8 billion hostile takeover bid
- Global Copper Corp. in its $415 million acquisition by Teck Cominco Limited
- An independent committee of Countryside Power Income Fund in its $218 million acquisition by Fort Chicago Energy Partners
- Infor Global Solutions European Finance, SARL, in its $237 million acquisition of Workbrain Corporation
- UE Waterheater Income Fund and UE Waterheater Operating Trust in their $1.7 billion sale of assets to Alinda Capital Partners LLC
- Nautic Partners LLC in its acquisition of the assets of Canada Cartage Diversified Income Fund
- Golden Gate Capital in its US$1 billion acquisition of Geac Computer Corporation Limited
- ID Biomedical Corporation in its $1.7 billion acquisition by GlaxoSmithKline PLC
- Co-operators Group Limited in its $306 million acquisition of Addenda Capital Inc.
- Centurion Energy International Inc. in its $1.14 billion acquisition by Dana Gas PJSC
We advise on negotiated and unsolicited mergers and acquisitions transactions effected by way of asset purchases and sales, take-over bids, arrangements, amalgamations, asset or securities distributions or divestitures, spin-offs or otherwise. Our mergers and acquisitions practitioners can draw on available business, corporate and securities law experience and expertise as well as other resources of the firm in areas such as antitrust and competition, employment and labour, IP and IT, environmental, litigation, pensions and benefits, and tax to form a team dedicated to servicing our clients' M & A needs.