Brad Dixon is Vancouver Regional Leader of our Commercial Litigation Group and of our Class Actions Focus Group. Recognized as a leading lawyer in these areas of law by the foremost legal rankings directories, Brad has extensive experience in complex commercial litigation. He has successfully defended numerous class actions against leading Canadian and multi-national corporations.
Appearing in all levels of courts and acting as counsel in arbitrations, Brad has dealt with a broad range of disputes involving - among other things - contract claims, shareholder and partnership disputes, product liability and warranty claims, disputes over real property interests or priorities, various types of consumer law claims, competition law claims, and claims raising constitutional and other public law issues.
· Koubi v Mazda Canada Inc. et al, British Columbia Court of Appeal. Defended a distributor and its authorized BC dealers against a consumer class action seeking disgorgement of profits based on waiver of tort. Successfully obtained reversal on appeal of certification; proceeding dismissed as disclosing no cause of action.
· Gary Jackson Holdings Ltd. v. Eden and others, British Columbia Supreme Court. Acted for lenders in successfully opposing certification of claim by investors in failed development company.
· Chartrand v. General Motors Corporation, British Columbia Supreme Court. Dismissal of application for certification of a proposed class action.
· Owners Strata Plan LMS 3851 and others v. Homer Street Development and others, British Columbia Supreme Court. Trial judgment obtained for investors in condominium hotel, establishing liability findings against developers and others for misleading financial projections); judgment affirmed in part, reversed in part on appeal. Please also see: http://www.courts.gov.bc.ca/jdb-txt/CA/09/03/2009BCCA0395cor1.htm.
· CareVest Capital Inc. v. Chychrun and others, British Columbia Supreme Court. Obtained dismissal of negligence claims by pre-sale strata lot purchasers against project lender on developer's failure to complete development of a subdivision; subsequently obtained dismissal of claims to priority interest by pre-sale purchasers). Please also see: http://www.courts.gov.bc.ca/jdb-txt/sc/08/11/2008bcsc1138.htm.
· Benning v. Volkswagen Canada, British Columbia Supreme Court. Obtained dismissal of application for certification of a proposed class action.
· Dahl v. Royal Bank and others, Court of Appeal for British Columbia. Affirming pre-certification dismissal of a proposed class action.
· Ernewein v. General Motors, Court of Appeal for British Columbia. Reversal of certification order, application for leave to appeal dismissed by Supreme Court of Canada.
· Nanaimo Immigrant Settlement Society v. Province of British Columbia, Court of Appeal for British Columbia. Affirming dismissal of a class action on summary trial of common issues; application for leave to appeal dismissed by Supreme Court of Canada.
Publications & Presentations
· Speaker, "Important Developments and Trends in Recent Product Liability Class Action Litigation: How It Impacts Your Company," Canadian Institute's Forum on Consumer Product Safety, Liability & Recalls (Toronto. ON), June 17, 2013.
· Speaker, "Class Action Ethics," Western Canadian Class Action Conference (CLE BC), January 2013.
· Quoted in "Why Class Actions Create Ethical Minefields," The Lawyers Weekly, August 2011.
· Speaker, "Shareholders' Remedies / Oppression Class Proceedings," The Continuing Legal Education Society of British Columbia (CLE BC), June 2011.
· Speaker, Osgoode Hall Professional Development Class, Action Ethics - 8th National Symposium on Class Actions, April 28 & 29, 2011.
· Speaker, "Top 10 Ethical Questions in Class Actions," CLE BC Western Canadian Class Actions Conference, 2009.
· Speaker, "Cross-Country Check-up," The Canadian Institute's 8th Annual National Forum on Class Actions Litigation entitled "British Columbia Class Proceedings: A Year in Review," September 2007.
Rankings & Recognitions
· Selected by peers for inclusion in 2014 edition (and since 2006) of The Best Lawyers in Canada® (Class Action Litigation, Corporate and Commercial Litigation).
· Recognized in the 2013 edition of Chambers Global ? The World's Leading Lawyers for Business (Dispute Resolution - British Columbia, Dispute Resolution - Class Action).
· Recognized in the 2013 edition (and since 2009) of the Canadian Legal Lexpert® Directory (Litigation - Class Actions).
· Martindale-Hubbell® BV® Distinguished 4.4 out of 5 Peer Review Rated.
· Recognized in Benchmark Canada - The Definitive Guide to Canada's Leading Litigation Firms & Attorneys (Class Actions, Commercial Litigation).
· Member, The Law Society of British Columbia
· Member, Canadian Bar Association, BC Branch, Civil Litigation and Class Action Subsections
· Associate Member, American Bar Association, Civil Litigation Section and International Class Actions Subcommittee
· Chair, National Board of Directors of MADD Canada, Mothers Against Drunk Driving, 2003-05