Bradley Freedman is a National Leader of our Cybersecurity Law Group, Vancouver Regional Leader of our Technology Law Group, and a partner in our national Intellectual Property and Information Technology groups. Bradley focuses his practice on technology, intellectual property, the Internet, electronic commerce, and related matters, and is recognized as a leading lawyer in these areas of law by the foremost legal rankings publications. Bradley advises clients in negotiating, structuring and documenting transactions and business arrangements, and acts as counsel in litigation, arbitration and mediation. He has appeared before the Supreme Court of British Columbia, the British Columbia Court of Appeal, the Federal Court of Canada, the Federal Court of Appeal, the Trademarks Opposition Board, and international commercial arbitration tribunals.
Bradley is also a Domain-Name Dispute Arbitrator for both the World Intellectual Property Organization and the British Columbia International Commercial Arbitration Centre.
Publications & Presentations
Bradley Freedman is a prolific author and speaker. He has contributed to commercial publications, authored scholarly articles in law reviews and journals, and written and presented for The Continuing Legal Education Society of British Columbia and other lawyers' associations.
Following are some of Bradley's commercial publications:
•Author/Editor, Consolidated Electronic Commerce Statutes and Regulations with Related Materials, Thomson Carswell, published annually from 2003 to the present.
•Author, Domain-Name Disputes chapter in Consolidated Intellectual Property Statutes and Regulations with Related Materials, Thomson Carswell, published annually from 2003 to the present.
•Member of Editorial Board, and frequent contributor, Internet and E-Commerce Law in Canada, LexisNexis.
•Co-author of original Trade-marks and the Internet chapter in Electronic Commerce: A Practitioner's Guide, Thomson Reuters, 2003.
Following are some of Bradley's scholarly articles:
• Discovery of Electronic Records Under Canadian Law - A Practical Guide, B. J. Freedman, (2004) 18 Intellectual Property Journal 59.
• The Uniform Domain Name Dispute Resolution Policy: A Practical Guide, B. J. Freedman and R. J. C. Deane, (2002) 1 (1) Canadian Journal of Law and Technology.
• Trade-Marks and the Internet: A Canadian Perspective, B. J. Freedman and R. J. C. Deane, (2001) 34:2 University of British Columbia Law Review 345.
• Electronic Contracts Under Canadian Law - A Practical Guide, B. J. Freedman, (2000) 28:1 Manitoba Law Journal 1.
• The Fiduciary Relationship: Its Economic Character and Legal Consequences, R. Cooter and B. J. Freedman (1991) 4 New York University Law Review 1045.
• An Economic Model of the Fiduciary's Duty of Loyalty, R. Cooter and B. J. Freedman (1991) 10 Tel Aviv University Studies in Law 297.
• Obtaining Evidence from Canada: The Enforcement of Letters Rogatory by Canadian Courts, B. J. Freedman and G. N. Harney, (1987) 21 University of British Columbia Law Review 351.
Following is a partial list of Bradley's publications, papers and presentations for various lawyers' associations:
•Author or co-author of Internet Law chapter in CLEBC's Annual Review of Law and Practice each year from 2001 to present.
•Course Chair and Author/Presenter, Trademark Litigation, Intellectual Property for Litigators - 2011 Update, CLEBC, 2011.
•Course Chair and Author/Presenter, Technology Transactions - Selected Issues, Intellectual Property for Solicitors, 2010 Update, CLEBC, 2010.
•Course Chair and Author/Presenter, Trademark Litigation, Intellectual Property for Litigators, CLEBC, 2007.
•Author/Presenter, Trade-mark Law Update - 2007, Canadian IT Law Association Eleventh Annual General Meeting, 2007.
•Author/Presenter, Technology Transactions, Selected Legal and Business Issues, Intellectual Property for Solicitors, CLEBC, 2005.
•Course Chair and Author/Presenter, Electronic Contracts - A Practical Guide, Advising Businesses on Technology Issues, CLEBC, 2004.
•Author/Presenter, IT Issues for Corporate Counsel, Canadian IT Law Association Eighth Annual General Meeting, 2004.
•Author/Presenter, Trade-mark Litigation, McGill/IPIC Introductory Trade-mark Course, 2004.
•Course Chair and Author/Presenter, Trademark Litigation, Intellectual Property Litigation - 2004 Update, CLEBC, 2004.
•Author/Presenter, Trade-mark Litigation, McGill/IPIC Introductory Trade-mark Course, 2003.
•Author/Presenter, Trade-mark Law Update - 2003, Canadian IT Law Association Seventh Annual General Meeting, 2003.
•Author/Presenter, Electronic Contracts - A Practical Guide, Canadian IT Law Association The First Annual IT Law Spring Training Program, 2002.
•Course Chair and Author/Presenter, Trademark Litigation, Intellectual Property Litigation - 2002 Update, CLEBC, 2002.
•Author/Presenter, License Agreements - Term, Termination and Renewals, Licensing: Business and Legal Issues, CLEBC, 2002.
•Author/Presenter, What is a Document? Discovery of Electronic Records, Document Production, CLEBC, 2002.
•Author/Presenter, Trade-mark Law Update, Canadian IT Law Association Fifth Annual General Meeting, 2001.
•Presenter, eBusiness - Legal Risk Management, Canadian Bar Association, BC Branch, Corporate Counsel Sub-Section, 2001.
•Course Chair and Author/Presenter, Trademark Litigation, Intellectual Property Litigation - 2000 Update, CLEBC, 2000.
•Author/Presenter, Year 2000 Legal Issues, Business Law Practice Update, CLEBC, 1999.
Testimonials & Rankings
•“Mr Freedman provides excellent service; he communicates clearly, is willing to discuss and arrange budgets for legal work and is responsive and diligent.” - Lexology Client Choice Awards, 2016
• He is everything I look for in a lawyer - his work is first class, he is knowledgeable about our business and the industry and he is responsive. - Lexology Client Choice Awards, 2016
• Mr Freedman is the best in his field; it is a pleasure working with him. - Lexology Client Choice Awards, 2016
• He offers value for money; we have come to count on his advice, the quality of his work, his quick turnaround times and the fact that each encounter leads to a successful outcome. - Lexology Client Choice Awards, 2016
• Bradley offers everything I look for in a lawyer: first-class work, knowledge of our business and the industry, and responsiveness. - Lexology Client Choice Awards, 2014
• In my opinion, his knowledge of the IT world is unsurpassed among lawyers - it is very valuable to me to work with a lawyer who can 'talk the talk' with our IT employees. - Lexology Client Choice Awards, 2014
• His responsiveness is second to none. Unfortunately in this field, there is a lot of uncertainty and sometimes the legal work needs to be completed in accordance with unrealistic deadlines. Brad has always done everything he could to accommodate us. - Lexology Client Choice Awards, 2014
• I think due to Brad's background in litigation, he is very skilled at understanding how legal clauses regarding indemnification, insurance, liability and risk will play out if a doomsday scenario arises. This also gives him a unique perspective in negotiations, as he fully understands the barristers side of any legal dilemma. - Lexology Client Choice Awards, 2014
•Recognized in 2016 of The Best Lawyers in Canada for Information Technology Law, Intellectual Property Law and Technology Law and from 2006 to 2015 for Information Technology Law and Intellectual Property Law.
•Recognized by the 2016 and 2014 Lexology Client Choice Awards as the exclusive winner for Information Technology in British Columbia.
•Recognized in Benchmark Canada - The Definitive Guide to Canada's Leading Litigation Firms & Attorneys as a Local Litigation Star, British Columbia (since 2012) and a Litigation Star, Canada, Intellectual Property (2015).
•Recognized in World Trademark Review's WTR 1000 - The World's Leading Trademark Professionals (since 2011) for Enforcement and Litigation; Prosecution and Strategy.
•Recognized in The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory (since 2001)for Computer & IT Law, Intellectual Property and Technology Transactions.
•Recognized in the 2013 edition of the Lexpert Guide to the Leading US/Canada Cross-Border Corporate Lawyers in Canada.
•Martindale-Hubbell BV Distinguished 4.4 out of 5 Peer Review Rated.