Brent has spent a significant part of his practice representing national corporations and other defendants in product liability and product warranty cases involving motor vehicles, buildings, and consumer products, handling over 500 cases during his career.
He represents the interests of self-insured and insurance companies in motor vehicle accidents, premises liability, products liability, and professional liability including attorney malpractice, real estate broker negligence, and fraud investigation. With the assistance of liability experts, Brent was recently able to prove that a tragic motor vehicle accident was not caused by the client but rather by the plaintiff and obtained a defense verdict at trial. In another case, through the use of medical expert testimony, Brent successfully attacked causation for injuries due to pre-existing factors and embellishment by the plaintiff as to limitations in daily activities. Subsequently, a defense verdict was returned by that jury.
Brent graduated from Mansfield University. There he served in a number of elected offices including president of the student government. Following graduation, he attended Ohio Northern University where he received two awards for academic achievement and was invited to serve on the University Law Review. After receiving his juris doctor, Brent served as law clerk to President Judge Robert Kemp for one year. For six years following his judicial clerkship, Brent practiced in a small, general practice firm with an emphasis in insurance defense litigation.
Significant Representative Matters
• Obtained favorable jury verdict in severe brain injury case with multi-million dollar demand by proving plaintiff's damages were not due to client's negligence.
• "Are the Federal Courts Starting a Trend to Preclude Experts on Bad Faith Issues?" Defense Digest, Vol. 19, No. 3, September 2013
• "Plaintiff's Failure to Name an Indispensable Party Results in Dismissal of Entire Case," Defense Digest, Vol. 6, No. 3, 2000
• "Failure to Name Indispensable Party Results in Case Dismissal," Lawyers Journal, October 6, 2000
Past Employment Positions
• Tioga County Court of Common Pleas, Hon. Robert M. Kemp, Law Clerk, 1988 -1989
Associations & Memberships
• American Bar Association
• Lehigh County Bar Association
• Pennsylvania Bar Association
• Pennsylvania Defense Institute
Year Joined Organization: 1995
• Delta Theta Phi