Brett Garner is a member of Venable's Intellectual Property Group and focuses his practice at the intersection of business and technology. He combines his background in transactional intellectual property matters with his M.B.A. to serve as an outside general counsel to his clients on a variety of matters. He advises clients in complex technology and intellectual property transactions, including business process and information technology licensing, brand protection, technology maintenance and services, technology development and customization, marketing and distribution, as well as manufacturing, supply, distribution, and other agreements for products and services. Mr. Garner also counsels clients on general intellectual property matters, including technology assignments and transfers, the protection and commercialization of intellectual property, and navigating the purchase, integration and divestiture of businesses and product lines.
Mr. Garner represents several entertainment production companies, broadcast cable and television networks, retailers, and consumer brands, including their entertainment and interactive marketing agencies, as well as other innovative branded entertainment and online initiatives. Mr. Garner helps clients prepare endorsement and sponsorship agreements with sports leagues, teams, and major events, as well as prepare and negotiate joint promotion alliances and marketing and advertising agreements.
Mr. Garner began his career as an intellectual property litigation attorney, representing clients in cases involving copyright and trademark infringement.
· Represented an international entertainment services company in distribution and licensing transactions.
· Represented a large online video streaming company in advertising and technology transactions, including co-branding, development and licensing.
· Represented a global fashion company in both brand protection and licensing transactions.
· Represented a large video game manufacturer in the development of software and mobile applications.
· Represented one of the most famous movie theatres in the world in negotiating and drafting a naming rights agreement.
· Represented one of the largest mobile device manufacturers and distributors in sponsorship transactions with professional sports teams.
· Represented one of the largest privately held online advertising networks in the development and execution of advertising and marketing programs and online transactions.
· Represented a television network in multiple advertising technology transactions.
· Represented a large manufacturer, distributor and retail store of sporting goods products in endorsement and sponsorship agreements.
· Developed, protected and monetized intellectual property assets for large institutional clients and managed their trademark portfolios.
· Represented a number of high-profile celebrities in endorsement and licensing agreements.
· Represented a number of clients in high-stakes litigation in federal courts and before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, including Advertise.com, Inc. v. AOL Advertising, Inc., Case No. 10-55069 (9th Cir; Aug 3, 2010).
New Media, Media and Entertainment
Emerging Companies: Venable Venture Services
June 12, 2013, Three Venable attorneys honored as Rising Stars in Southern California edition of Super Lawyers 2013
March 28, 2013, Law360 features Venable partner promotions
January 17, 2013, Daily Journal highlights Venable's role in Grauman's Chinese Theater renaming
December 6, 2012, Venable Names Six Attorneys to Partnership
July 10, 2012, Adam Hess, Experienced IP Litigator and Transaction Counsel, Joins Venable as Partner in Washington DC
June 26, 2012, Three Venable attorneys honored as Rising Stars in Southern California edition of Super Lawyers 2012
January 23, 2012, Venable Strengthens National Patent Prosecution/Litigation Practice with Addition of Five-Attorney Group, Including Three Partners
October 10, 2011, Greg Sater Joins Venable's Los Angeles Office
June 21, 2011, Dan Silverman's and Brett Garner's move to Venable highlighted in several publications
June 10, 2011, Southern California edition of Super Lawyers 2011 honors three Venable attorneys as Rising Stars
Selected for inclusion in Southern California Super Lawyers Rising Stars Edition 2005 - 2013
April 2012, IP Buzz - April 2012
Meaghan Hemmings Kent, Elissa Brockbank Reese, Jacqueline Levasseur Patt,Brett A. Garner, Melissa C. McLaughlin, Deborah A. Feinblum, Justin E. Pierce,Marcella Ballard
April 24, 2012, Trademark Disputes as an Unintended Consequence of Distribution Agreements
Brett A. Garner, Melissa C. McLaughlin
April 10, 2012, IP: What's in a Name?
Brett A. Garner, Deborah A. Feinblum
December 5, 2012, Brett Garner presented a survey of intellectual property protection and commercialization in the United States to the State Intellectual Property Office of the PRC
Brett A. Garner