Brett L. Messinger concentrates his practice in the areas of international and commercial litigation; banking litigation and law; consumer class actions; actions under the Truth-In-Lending Act, the Fair Credit Reporting Act and the Fair Debt Collection Law; insurance defense and coverage; international and domestic cargo claims; and product liability. He also provides compliance opinions to the banking and title insurance industries in regard to the Truth-In-Lending Act, the Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act, and related federal and state law. Mr. Messinger is engaged in a national banking litigation practice, often handling cases and appearing in court throughout the United States, and he has developed large practices involving assisting foreign litigants in transferring and domesticating foreign judgments to the United States.
Mr. Messinger has appeared in cases throughout the country. In addition to appearing frequently in the jurisdictions to which he is admitted, he has been admitted pro hac vice and successfully litigated cases in various jurisdictions, including Alabama, California, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Missouri, Montana, Nevada, New Hampshire, Ohio, Oregon, Texas and Wisconsin.
Mr. Messinger serves as counsel to a national debt buyer in numerous cases throughout the United States involving claims made under state and federal consumer laws, including the Fair Credit Reporting Act and the Fair Debt Collection law. In addition, he has counseled various companies seeking advice in developing products for compliance with banking laws, including the Truth in Lending Act, the Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act, as well as other state and federal laws.
Mr. Messinger has represented insurance carriers in mass products liability litigation. He has also litigated on behalf of insurance carriers in various cases involving the interpretation of automobile insurance policies under Pennsylvania law.
As counsel to a large multinational air cargo carrier, Mr. Messinger has litigated matters involving interpretation of federal common law, the Warsaw Convention, Montreal Protocol 4 and the Airline Deregulation Act. He also assisted companies in Asia, Europe and Central America in the transfer and collection of foreign judgments in the United States.
Admitted to practice in Pennsylvania, New York and New Jersey, Mr. Messinger is a 1991 graduate of Widener University School of Law and a graduate of the University of Delaware.
• Duane Morris LLP
- Partner, 2014-present
- Special Counsel, 2008-2013
- Associate, 1998-2008
• Raeder & DeRespino, P.C., Philadelphia, Pennsylvania and Voorhees, New Jersey
- Associate, 1997-1998
• Wolf, Block, Schorr and Solis-Cohen, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania and Camden, New Jersey
- Associate, 1995-1997
• Mannino Griffith, P.C., Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- Associate, 1992-1995
• Law Offices of M.W. Pinsky, Esquire, Westmont, New Jersey
- Associate, 1991-1992
Honors & Awards
• Law Review, Note and Comment Editor, The Delaware Journal of Corporate Law
Civic and Charitable Activities
• Youth Coach, Cherry Hill Football Club (1998-present)
• Mr. Messinger can be found frequently on the soccer pitch, currently playing winger and striker for Gibbsboro Grays (South Jersey Masters Soccer League).
• Co-author, Maine Supreme Court Decision Limits Scope of MERS' Ability to Assign Mortgages , Duane Morris Alert, July 14, 2014
• Co-author, New Jersey Bill Requires Creditors to Maintain Vacant Property During Pending Foreclosures , Duane Morris Alert, July 8, 2014
• Co-author, Revised Common Level Ratio for Philadelphia May Entitle Certain Taxpayers to a Refund , Duane Morris Alert, February 20, 2013
• Co-author, Pa. Appellate Court Issues Opinion in Dietz v. Chase Home Finance, LLC, Clarifying Preemption of State Common Law Claims by Fair Credit Reporting Act , Duane Morris Alert, April 16, 2012
• Brett L. Messinger and Lida Rodriguez-Taseff, Book Review, R.A. Brand & S.R. Jablonski Forum Non Conveniens: History, Global Practice, and Future Under the Hague Convention on Choice of Court Agreements, Journal of International Banking and Financial Law, March 2009
Selected Speaking Engagements
• Radio Appearance, Real Estate Talk With Willie Lambright, October 31, 2013
• Radio Appearance, Real Estate Talk With Willie Lambright, September 19, 2013
• Radio Appearance, Real Estate Talk With Willie Lambright, August 22, 2013