Brett Mankey is a member of the Corporate Practice Group. Brett focuses his practice in the area of corporate transactions, having spent the past 15 years working as both a lawyer and a businessman in a transaction-driven and technology-focused environment. Brett has a wealth of experience advising clients involved in major commercial/strategic contract negotiations, acquisitions, divestitures and investments, both domestically and abroad. He has represented private equity/venture capital firms, entrepreneurs, venture-backed companies and joint venture clients in a wide range of industries including software, Internet, medical device, telecoms and the media.
During the course of his career, Brett has served as Vice President of Business & Strategic Development of a $950M annual revenue NASDAQ-listed telecommunications company, where he handled negotiating, structuring and due diligence examinations for all acquisitions, divestitures and investments. While employed by this company, Brett also spent time as Acting General Counsel, where he managed strategic relationships, commercial contracts, and litigation, arbitration and compliance matters as well as the oversight of outside counsel. Brett has been personally involved in negotiating over $18B worth of transactions in his career as either a businessman or a lawyer. Most recently, Brett was employed by Ballynahinch Capital Partners, where he served as the Managing Member and was engaged in outsourced corporate/strategic development and legal advisory work. Some of his other career highlights have included serving as:
· Co-founder/CEO/Board of Directors Member of Convergence Mobile Solutions, a nationwide investor-backed wireless services and distribution company focused on selling voice and data solutions to businesses and government agencies.
· CEO/Board of Directors Member of HOSTeu, a London-based venture-capital funded software services company, which he led until the successful sale of the business to a competitor. HOSTeu was one of Microsoft's six Strategic Partners in the UK and Ireland for software services at the time of the sale.
· Board Member of Iris Wireless, a $30M venture-funded SMS and MMS carrier's network wireless company with a strong focus on Asia.
· Advisory Board Member of Capital Alliance Partners, a New York and London-based boutique real estate investment bank and fund management company.
· Advisory Board Member of LVV Capital, a London-based boutique technology merchant bank.
Brett's legal background includes serving as Of Counsel at an AMLaw 100 firm in Washington, D.C., where he represented many software, technology and telecommunications companies and investors. While living overseas, Brett spent time as a corporate transactional associate at a Global 50 law firm in London, England, where he regularly advised blue-chip companies in cross-border M&A, private equity and venture capital transactions throughout Europe.
Ballynahinch Capital Partners LLC
Convergence Mobile Solutions LLC
USA Mobility, Inc. (formerly Metrocall, Inc.)
PageOne Communications Limited
Advisory Board Experience:
Capital Alliance Partners
Board of Directors Experience:
Convergence Mobile Solutions LLC
Iris Wireless LLC
American Bar Association (Past member, International Law and Business Law Sections)
"Practical Considerations for an American Company Seeking to Engage in Business in Hungary," The Duquesne Business Law Journal (2 Duq. Bus. Law Journal 19 (1997)
"Competition Laws and Their Effect on a European Union/United States Telecommunications Merger," Tolley's Communication Law Journal (Vol. 3, No. 4, Communications Law 139 (1998))
Mergers & Acquisitions:
· One of principal attorneys who negotiated $13.9B Deutsche Telekom acquisition of One2One from Media One and Cable and Wireless (1999)
· Advised Deutsche Telekom on $375M disposal of EuroBell (Holdings) PLC to TeleWest PLC (1999)
· Advised Atlantic Telecom on $500M acquisition of First Telecom (1999)
· Advised Bernie Ecclestone on the sale of a minority stake in Formula One Racing to Morgan Grenfell Private Equity for $380M (1999)
· Advised SBS Broadcasting on its acquisition of substantially all of the Hungarian television assets of CME for $16M while simultaneously selling CME the SBS owned radio stations in Slovenia and Slovakia for $25M (2000)
· Represented USA Mobility on Asset Sale to AMDS in exchange for 10% Equity Stake in AMDS (subsequently acquired by Sensus Metering for $100M) (2005)
· Negotiated and structured two LOIs as well as Asset Purchase Agreements for asset purchases on behalf of Online Initiatives (both acquired businesses were online/social media businesses with the larger transaction structured as $7M cash up-front and up to 30% earn out) (2009)
· Negotiated $5M acquisition of HOSTeu as CEO by 7 Global Limited (2001)
· Led acquisition of $30M annual revenue subsidiary of Alltel by Metrocall (2003)
· Led acquisition of $80M annual revenue Weblink Wireless by Metrocall (2003)
· Integral part of senior management team that negotiated and structured reverse merger of Arch Wireless and Metrocall creating USA Mobility- $950M 2003 Pro Forma Revenue, both companies publicly traded and DOJ HSR 2nd request review (2004)
· Represented Esouk (European Internet Incubator) on $25M initial funding from Moore Global and Eden Capital (London-based Hedge Funds) (1998) and subsequent Angel/Series A Round Investments into five European Internet Startups (NetImperative, Uvine, 123 immo, Nutravida and Mondus) (1999)
· Represented Chase Capital Partners on Series A $10M Lead Investment into TheStreet.com Europe (1999)
· Negotiated, structured and closed an LOI and Investment Agreement for a $300K Angel Round of Financing for Yovia LLC in less than 90 days (2010)
· Represented Investor Group in restructuring of an Online Waste Management brokerage marketplace including cram-down of Founder's equity position and subsequent forced removal as Managing Member (2011)
· Represented Investor group in a $500K Angel Round of Financing for fashion-focused e-commerce company Fitting Room Social, Inc. (2012)