Brian A. Kelly is vice-chair of the Insurance division of Duane Morris' Trial Practice Group. Mr. Kelly represents clients in connection with commercial, environmental and insurance matters. Mr. Kelly is a trial attorney with extensive jury and court trial experience. His practice involves counseling clients in all stages of risk, and he is frequently retained before a lawsuit is filed in an effort to manage risk. Mr. Kelly has extensive experience representing clients in arbitrations, mediations and all other types of alternative dispute resolution. In all engagements, Mr. Kelly works closely with his clients to achieve defined goals in the most cost-effective manner.
Mr. Kelly advises and represents clients in a wide range of issues and lawsuits from contractual issues and insurance coverage to toxic torts and environmental claims. He is regularly retained as trial and appellate counsel in complex litigation in state and federal courts throughout the country. Mr. Kelly also represents product manufacturers, industry groups and their associations in administrative, state and federal court proceedings relating to environmental impacts, product use restrictions and compliance with state and federal environmental regulations, including NEPA, CEQA, Clean Water Act and CERCLA, among others.
Mr. Kelly is a member of the Bar Association of San Francisco and American Bar Association. Admitted to practice in California and Louisiana, he is a 1984 graduate of Loyola University School of Law and a graduate of California State University, Chico.
•Duane Morris LLP
- Partner, 2006-present
•Hancock Rothert & Bunshoft LLP
- Partner, 1993-2005
- Associate, 1986-1992
•Courtenay, Forstall, Grace & Hebert
- Associate, 1984-1986
Honors & Awards
•Referenced in Legal 500 U.S.- Leading Lawyers for Insurance: Advice to Insurers 2015
•Named a 2014 Top Rated Lawyer in Insurance Law by Martindale-Hubbell
• AV Preeminent Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
Selected Speaking Engagements
• Young Lawyer Track- Bending the Cost Curve in Long-Tail Liability Coverage: The Berkshire Hathaway Strategy, 2015 Insurance Coverage Litigation Committee CLE Seminar, Tucson, AZ, March 4-7, 2015
• Expert Depositions, Practising Law Institute's Taking and Defending Depositions 2011, San Francisco, June 8, 2011
• Complex Litigation, University of California, Berkeley School of Law, International Executive Legal Education Program, Berkeley, Summer 2010
• Expert Depositions, Practising Law Institute's Taking and Defending Depositions 2010, San Francisco, June 9, 2010
• Real World Consequences of Number of Occurrence Determinations, Mealey's 5th Annual Advanced Insurance Coverage Conference, Philadelphia, January 22-23, 2007
•Featured in Q&A with Duane Morris' Brian Kelly, Law360, May 7, 2013
•Co-author, Is the World Becoming a Riskier or Safer Place? Property Casualty360, August 11, 2011