Brian Shaw's expertise is in matters relating to patents, trademarks, copyrights, and trade secrets. He prepares and prosecutes patent and trademark applications, prepares patentability opinions, patent and trademark infringement opinions, and counsels on and prepares licensing and technology transfer agreements. Brian's experience includes:
· A diversified practice including computer law; mechanical intellectual property, including sealing technologies, heat transfer, photocopying, and sheet-cutting technologies; biomedical technology including immunoassay evanescent wave guide technology and blood-flow sensing and measuring; new media law and international intellectual property.
· Identifying and clearing products through infringement and design-around issues.
· Negotiating proprietary technology transfers for the commercialization of technology, including transfers between institutes of higher education and faculty, as well as institutes of higher education and startups.
Professional and Civic Activities
· Past President, Rochester Intellectual Property Law Association
· Member, Monroe County Bar Association
· Member, New York State Bar Association
· Member, California State Bar Association
· Member, District of Columbia Bar Association
· Member, Rochester Intellectual Property Law Association
· Member, International Trademark Association
Honors and Awards
· Selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® in the fields of Copyright Law, Intellectual Property Litigation, Patent Litigation, Patent Law and Trademark Law
· Recipient, Donald Warren McCrosky Award for scholarly achievement in Mechanical Engineering, 1985
· Selected for inclusion in Super Lawyers® 2011-2012 in the field of Intellectual Property
· Frequent speaker, Cornell University, the University of Rochester, the Rochester Institute of Technology, and other venues, on intellectual property and the Internet.
· Co-author, "Copyright in the Age of Photocopiers, Word Processors and the Internet," Change magazine (Nov/Dec 2003)
· Author, "Copyright Issues," Association for Recorded Sound Collections (1993-1998)