Brian Dingle is a partner in the Business Immigration Group of the Toronto office of Borden Ladner Gervais LLP and the National Business Immigration Focus Group Leader. Brian practices exclusively in the area of business immigration and citizenship law. He acts on behalf of private and public sector employers and employees in administrative proceedings and applications to Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC), Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA), Service Canada and Canadian visa posts abroad.
Brian has successfully represented employers in various sectors, including information technology, mining, oil and gas, finance, industrial, sports and entertainment in the transfer and acquisition of key foreign personnel and talent. For instance, Brian has represented all of the major American film and television studios and a number of high-profile entertainers, including Academy Award winning actors, directors, and other professionals in movie and television production, as well Grammy and Juno award winning recording artists.
Prior to joining BLG as an associate, Brian was both a summer student and an articling student with the Firm. Brian regularly publishes papers on business immigration topics, and participates in panel discussions on temporary entry into Canada.
· Advised one of the world's leading computer animators and a multi-Academy Award winning studio establish a new animation studio in Canada.
· Advised one of the world's largest integrated oil and gas companies in respect of its business immigration matters following the acquisition of a competitor's global oil and gas business which had serious implications for the client's temporary foreign workers.
· Represents a large, foreign-based multinational company involved in operations, maintenance and asset management services in the mining, oil and gas and utility sectors; obtained work permits for several key players to establish a corporate presence in Canada.
· Represents one of the world's leading wealth management, capital markets and advisory companies in respect of its Canadian business immigration matters.
· Successfully obtained work permits for clients on the basis of Confirmation Exemption Code C10 as it applies to foreign nationals whose employment will result in significant benefits to Canada.
Publications & Presentations
· Author, "Foreign Workers Regs Reach Beyond Intended Goals," The Lawyers Weekly, November 12, 2010 (with V. Cowling).
· Author, "Employing Foreign Nationals: Increased Enforcement of Immigration Laws Threatens Employers," The Lawyers Weekly, October 17, 2008.
· Author, "Canada," International Immigration and Nationality Law, Centre for International Legal Studies, Austria, March 2008 (with V. Cowling).
· Author, "Work Permits and Visa Applications," Ultimate Corporate Counsel Guide, CCH, 2007 (looseleaf service, updated yearly).
· Author, "Business Immigration - Recent Developments of Importance," Lexpert®/American Lawyer Guide to the Leading 500 Lawyers in Canada, 2007 (with V. Cowling).
· Panellist, "Retaining Foreign Talent: Making The Transition from Temporary Worker to Permanent Resident," Employing Foreign Workers - Ontario & Eastern Canada Edition, The Canadian Institute, 2012, (with Andrea Baldwin and Ilia Burtman).
· Speaker, "Canada's Temporary Foreign Worker Program: Work Permits for Intra-Company Transferees," China Chamber of International Commerce, 2012.
· Speaker, "Canada's Temporary Foreign Worker Program and the Entertainment Industry: A Lawyer's Perspective," IATSE, Local 411, 2012 (with Representatives from Service Canada, CBSA and CIC).
· Speaker, "What Business Visitors (And Their HR Teams) Need to Know about U.S. and Canadian Immigration," BLG Annual Labour and Employment Symposium, November 2008 (with V. Cowling and W. Manning).
· Panellist, "Enforcement Issues Panel: Criminal Rehabilitation," Canadian Bar Association's Citizenship and Immigration Law Section Annual Conference, 2006.
Rankings & Recognitions
· Selected by peers for inclusion in the 2014 edition (and since 2009) of The Best Lawyers in Canada® (Immigration Law).
· Recognized in the 2012 edition of Who's Who Legal: Canada (Corporate Immigration).
· Recognized as one of Lexpert®'s Rising Stars: Leading Lawyers 40 and Under in 2009.
· Member, Canadian Bar Association
· Member, Ontario Bar Association
· Member, American Immigration Lawyers Association
· Member, BLG's Pro Bono Committee