Brian Blaney concentrates his practice on corporate and securities law, mergers and acquisitions, and private equity investments. Brian has experience in capital markets transactions, including public and private offerings of equity and debt securities. Brian regularly advises public companies on mergers and acquisitions as well as on compliance with SEC reporting requirements, stock exchange listing rules, and general corporate matters. In addition to advising companies in a broad range of industries, Brian has experience in the securities aspects of real estate syndicates and real estate investment trusts.
Areas of Concentration
· Securities law
· Public offerings
· Mergers and acquisitions
· Venture capital and private placements
· Corporate law
Professional & Community Involvement
· Board of Directors, Desert Voices Oral Learning Center
· Member, American Bar Association, Business Law Section
· Member, Association for Corporate Growth, Arizona Chapter
· Member, State Bar of Arizona, Securities Regulation Section and Business Law Section
- Past Chairman, Securities Regulation Section
· Past Board Member, Enterprise Network
· Past Chairman of Awards Selection Committee, Governor's Celebration of Innovation
· Past Planning Committee Member, Invest Southwest (f/k/a Arizona Venture Capital Conference)
Awards & Recognition
· Listed, The Best Lawyers in America, Corporate Governance Law; Corporate Law; Mergers and Acquisitions Law; Securities / Capital Markets Law; Securities Regulation; Venture Capital Law, 2010-2014
- "Lawyer of the Year," Securities Law, Phoenix, 2014
· Team Member, Corporate Board Member magazine and FTI Consulting Inc., one of "America's Best Corporate Law Firms," 13th Annual Legal Industry Study, 2013
· Listed, Chambers USA Guide, 2006-2013
· Listed, Super Lawyers magazine, Southwest Super Lawyers, 2007-2013
- "Top 50 Super Lawyers in Arizona," 2007, 2010 and 2013
· Listed, Arizona's Finest Lawyers, 2011
· Represented issuers, selling stockholders, and underwriters in public offerings and private placements of equity and debt securities.
· Represented public companies with respect to securities law compliance, governance issues and general corporate matters.
· Represented buyers and sellers in merger and acquisition transactions.
· Represented emerging growth companies in connection with business plan development, private placement memorandum drafting and venture capital financing.
· Represented venture capital funds with respect to portfolio company investments.
Publications & Presentations
Articles, Lectures & Publications
· Author, "Keeping Current with SEC Disclosure Rules and Trends," Inside the Minds, SEC Compliance Best Practices, 2009
· Assisted the authors with updates, Going Public: Practice, Procedure, and Consequences by Carl W. Schneider, Joseph M. Manko, and Robert S. Kant, 2002 and 2006
· Co-Author, "Agency Authority in LLC Statutes (Part I): Uniformity and Peculiarity," 4 J. Ltd. Liab. Cos. 139, 1998
· Co-Author, "Agency Authority in LLC Statutes (Part II): Hypothetical Situations and Practical Suggestions," 5 J. Ltd. Liab. Cos. 11, 1998
· Faculty Speaker, "Preparing for the Sale of a Small or Middle Market Business," State Bar of Arizona CLE by the Sea, 2009
· Panelist, "Prepare Your Business Today for Future Sale," Enterprise Network Executive Forum, 2008
· Co-Chair, "Securities Offering Reform and Accounting Issues for Smaller Public Companies," State Bar of Arizona Securities Regulation Seminar, 2006
· Co-Chair, "Private Equity Transactions," State Bar of Arizona Securities Regulation Seminar, 2004