Brian Schulman focuses his practice on complex commercial and securities litigation. He represents individual and corporate clients in prosecuting and defending a wide-variety of business disputes, including contract matters, fraud, securities law violations, shareholder disputes, real estate transactions, lender liability, mortgage fraud and officer/director liability.
Brian is former General Counsel to the Securities Division of the Arizona Corporation Commission, where he spent five years before returning to private practice in 1999. During his tenure at the Commission, he prosecuted an array of securities fraud cases and represented the Securities Division in regulatory matters such as lobbying, rulemaking and administrative proceedings related to investment advisor, broker/dealer and capital formation regulations.
Brian practices in both state and federal courts, arbitration proceedings, and before various regulatory agencies such as the Arizona Corporation Commission, the Arizona Department of Financial Institutions and the Arizona State Veterinary Medical Examining Board.
Areas of Concentration
· Commercial litigation
· Securities litigation and arbitration
· Regulatory and administrative matters
· Business arbitrations and mediations
Professional & Community Involvement
· Member, Board of Directors, Arizona Educational Foundation, 2009-Present
· Member, Board of Directors, Keogh Health Foundation, 2008-Present
· Member, KAET Channel 8 Advancement Committee, 2005-Present
· Member, Board of Directors, North Scottsdale Little League, 2005-2007
· Member, Scottsdale Chamber of Commerce Leadership Roundtable, 2004-2005
· Executive Council Member, State Bar of Arizona, Securities Section, 2003-2007
· Member, Board of Trustees, Maricopa County Bar Foundation, 1998-2003
· Adjunct Professor, Arizona State University West Campus, 1998-1999
· Arbitrator, National Association of Securities Dealers
· Member, American Bar Association, Litigation, Securities and Business Law Sections
· Member, Arizona Bar Association, Litigation and Securities Sections
· Member, Maricopa County Bar Association, Litigation Section
Awards & Recognition
· Listed, The Best Lawyers in America, Litigation - Securities; Securities Regulation, 2012-2014
· Listed, Super Lawyers magazine, Southwest Super Lawyers, 2013
· Rated, AV Preeminent® 5.0 out of 5
· Represented a number of national and regional banks in a variety of matters.
· Represented public company in shareholder derivative lawsuit. The court granted the company's motion to dismiss.
· Represented California public company that purchases and manages charged-off consumer receivable portfolios in lawsuit against world's largest independent credit card issuer. Case resulted in multimillion-dollar settlement for client.°
· Represented former officers, directors and employees of Arizona religious foundation in connection with state and federal litigation arising from accounting and securities fraud charges against outside professionals. At the time the matter resulted in the largest not-for-profit bankruptcy in U.S. history.°
· Defended a national moving company in negligence case before a jury. Won a defense verdict.°
· Resolved dozens of cases through mediation, arbitration and settlement negotiations.
· Represent several restaurants and other small businesses in contract and business disputes.
°The above matters were handled by Mr. Schulman prior to his joining Greenberg Traurig, LLP.
Publications & Presentations
Articles, Lectures & Publications
· Co-Author, "Everything You Didn't Want to Know About Arizona's Securities Laws, But Had to Ask," Paper Presented to Business Law and Litigation Sections of Maricopa County Bar Association, Phoenix, AZ, January 13, 1999
· Contributing Editor, Arizona Bar Foundation's 1995 and 1998 Arizona Supplements to Street Law textbook
· Co-Author, "Arizona Securities Fraud Liability," Statutory and Common-Law Remedies, Second Edition
· Seminar Chair and Moderator, "Don't Just Settle: Mediators and Expert Witnesses Explain What it Takes to Posture Your Securities Case for a Win or Favorable Settlement," Arizona State Bar Association Annual Bar Convention, Tucson, AZ, June 16, 2005
· Panelist, "Current Topics in Securities Litigation/Regulation Practice," Arizona State Bar Association Annual Bar Convention, Phoenix, AZ, June 10, 2004
· Panelist, "Securities Offerings 1998," Arizona State Bar Association Annual Bar Convention, Tucson, AZ, June 12, 1998
· Panelist, "Meet the Regulators," Securities Section Meeting, Arizona State Bar Association, Phoenix, AZ, March 16, 1998