Brian L. Duffy is a president of the firm and previously served as Chair of the firm's 600-member Global Litigation Department from 2009-2013. He focuses his practice on trial and appellate work in the class action, employment, energy, commercial contract and product liability areas, serving as national, regional and local counsel in high-profile cases. Brian represents public and privately-held entities and their principals in complex business-related disputes arising from both internal and external sources. Brian focuses on a broad array of industries including consumer goods and retail, food processing and restaurants, and energy and natural resources.
Brian has handled numerous jury and non-jury trials, bench trials, proceedings before arbitration tribunals, mediation sessions, and appeals in state, federal and alternative dispute resolution settings throughout the country.
In class action defense, Brian formulates a case strategy which includes a variety of tactics from arguments to win on summary judgment, defeating class certification, or negotiating a favorable settlement. When necessary, Brian can also build a team to take a case to trial and successfully to verdict. Brian's objective is to independently analyze claims while developing strategies designed to achieve an early and cost-effective resolution.
Brian's employment practice includes wage and hour claims, employment breach of contract, discrimination defense, whistle blower and wrongful termination defense. He also assists clients with a variety of contract and business tort and disputes, including breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty and unfair competition.
Areas of Concentration
Professional & Community Involvement
· Member, American Bar Association
- Chairman, Energy Litigation Committee, 1999-2001
- Held numerous leadership positions since 1993
· Member, Colorado Bar Association
· Member, Denver Bar Association
· Member, Faculty of Federal Advocates
Awards & Recognition
· Listed, The Best Lawyers in America, Commercial Litigation; Litigation - Labor and Employment, 2010-2014
· Listed, Chambers USA Guide, 2013
· Listed, Super Lawyers magazine, Colorado Super Lawyers, 2006-2013
· Team Member, a Law360 "Employment Practice Group of the Year," 2011
· Team Member, a Law360 "Product Liability Practice Group of the Year," 2011
· Selected, The BTI Client Service All-Star Team for Law Firms, 2010-2011
· Team Member, a Law360 "Appellate Practice Group of the Year," 2010
· Rated, AV Preeminent® 5.0 out of 5
· Acted as national coordinating counsel for Fortune 50 company in defense of approximately 70 wage and hour class actions.
· Acted as lead defense counsel in multi-district litigation proceeding involving 35 putative wage and hour class actions.
· Acted as lead defense counsel in MDL proceeding involving approximately 50 putative consumer class actions arising out of the sale of motor fuel.
· Defended over 200 class actions covering nearly every type of consumer and business issue.
· Represented company in proceedings related to alleged violations of immigration laws, including governmental and internal investigations, related civil litigation and compliance programs.
· Represented companies alleged to have violated the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA), including design and implementation of compliance programs, and related internal investigations.
· Represented major energy company in three-week breach of contract trial involving a defective piece of mining equipment which resulted in judgment of $30 million in favor of our client.
· Represented major pipeline company in seven week jury trial arising out of a pipeline rupture and explosion which resulted in the deaths of twelve people. The jury returned a defense verdict on all claims.
· Judicial Clerk, Judge Jim R. Carrigan, United States District Court for the District of Colorado