Ms. Rome is a shareholder in the firm's employee benefits practice group, providing consultation and advice with respect to tax-qualified retirement plans, nonqualified deferred compensation plans, and health and welfare plans. Her experience includes assisting clients with compliance with ERISA and the Internal Revenue Code, reporting and disclosure, government audits, and the use of government-sponsored compliance and correction programs.
She also practices in the tax group, focusing on assisting nonprofit organizations, including charitable and educational organizations, health care entities, trade associations, and other tax-exempt entities, In this capacity, she advises nonprofit organizations on all aspects of organization and operation, including preparation and amendment of organizational documents, obtaining and maintaining tax exemption, governance issues, and compliance with tax laws.
Ms. Rome is a Board-Certified Tax Specialist as certified by the Louisiana Board of Legal Specialization.
· Representation of clients in all aspects of qualified retirement plans and nonqualified deferred compensation plans, including design, administration, compliance, document drafting, taxation, and employee communications
· Representation of clients in connection with IRS and Department of Labor examinations and correction program filings
· Representation of nonprofit clients with respect to formation, application for tax exemption, and other corporate and contractual matters, including conflict of interest, gift acceptance, and endowment issues and policies; affiliated organizations, including subsidiaries and joint ventures; fundraising, fiscal sponsorship, and other agreements
· Representation of nonprofit clients concerning compliance with tax laws, including unrelated business income tax, restrictions on lobbying and political activity, reporting obligations, intermediate sanctions for excess benefit transactions, and private foundation excise tax laws
Honors & Affiliations:
· Association of Employee Benefit Planners of New Orleans (Member and Secretary, Board of Directors, 2009-2011)
· Board-Certified Tax Law Specialist as Certified by the Louisiana Board of Legal Specialization
· Louisiana State Bar Association (Member, Section of Taxation)
· The Women's Professional Council of New Orleans (Member)
· Women's Energy Network, Southeast Louisiana Chapter (Member; Public Relations & Industry Director, 2012)
· "Hurricane Tax Relief," A Flood of Tax Relief - Post Katrina Tax Tips, Liskow & Lewis Women's Luncheon, March 2006, with Randye Snyder
· "Gulf Opportunity Zone Act of 2005," New Orleans Commercial Real Estate Women Meeting, May 2007
· "Pitfalls, Incentives, and the Future: An Overview of Various Federal Tax Issues," Whitney National Bank luncheon, May 2007, with James Exnicios
· "Louisiana Sales and Use Tax," Louisiana CPA Society CPE, annually since 2007, with Robert Angelico and James Exnicios
· "Louisiana Ad Valorem Tax," Louisiana CPA Society CPE, annually since 2007, with Robert Angelico and James Exnicios
· "Louisiana Tax Incentive Programs," Louisiana CPA Society CPE, annually since 2007, with Robert Angelico and James Exnicios
· "Legislative Update," Association of Employee Benefit Planners of New Orleans Meeting, annually since 2007, with Randye Snyder
· "Retirement Plans Compliance Alert: Failure to Withhold Plan Loan Repayments," Liskow & Lewis E-Newsletter, May 7, 2012
· Plan Participant Disclosure Rules - Compliance Alert
· Pension Protection Act: Looming Deadline and Key Changes for Defined Contribution Plans
· "The Louisiana Headquarters and Growth Act, an Open Invitation to Business: Locate Here," Lagniappe, Vol. 31, No. 7, Jan./Feb. 2006, with Robert Angelico