Bruce is Chair of the Antitrust Section and in his over 30 years in private practice, he has developed extensive experience in both antitrust and communications regulation, including associated First Amendment and copyright law matters
In the antitrust area, Bruce's practice includes antitrust counseling and representation in connection with federal and state governmental matters, as well as private antitrust litigation. He counsels and has represented Fortune 100 companies, not-for-profits, start-up entities, and domestic and international joint ventures. Bruce has been involved in antitrust matters spanning a broad range of industries, but has particularly deep experience in the communications, health care, and retail industries.
In the communications area, Bruce counsels and represents clients before the Federal Communications Commission and the courts in a wide variety of matters, including rulemakings and their judicial review, constitutional issues raised by FCC actions, and merger reviews. He has extensive experience in cable television matters, and his clients include Turner Broadcasting System, Inc., National Cable Telecommunications Association, Insight Communications, CTAM, C-SPAN, Bright House Networks, the Weather Channel, and others. Bruce has also represented copyright users in proceedings in the Southern District of New York and before arbitration entities established under the Copyright Act to establish copyright royalties.
Bruce served as the Managing Member for the firm's Washington, DC office from 1989 to 2001, and served on the firm's Executive Committee from 1989 to 2002.
During law school, he served as editor-in-chief of the Georgetown Law Journal. Following his graduation from Georgetown, Bruce served as law clerk to Judge Edward Allen Tamm of the US Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit.
· Represented CVS in the antitrust aspects of its $2.7 billion acquisition of Longs Drugs
· Represented CVS in the antitrust aspects of its $27 billion acquisition of Caremark
· Represented Qiagen in the antitrust aspects of its $1.5 billion acquisition of Digene
· Represented a cable company in the first successful FTC clearance of the acquisition of an overbuilt cable system
· Represented Lowell General Hospital in its recent merger with Saints Medical Center
· Represented CVS Caremark in In re CVS Caremark, Inc., Docket No. C-4357 (FTC 2012)
· Represented a large health care system in a parallel DOJ Antitrust Division and State Attorney General investigation
· In re Cox Communications, Inc. Set Top Box Antitrust Litigation, 2011 WL 6826813 (W.D. Okl. Dec. 28, 2011) (counsel for Cox)
· Covad Communications Co. v. Bell Atlantic Corp., 398 F.3rd 666 (D.C. Cir. 2005) (counsel for Covad)
· Stop & Shop Supermarket Co. v. Blue Cross & Blue Shield, 373 F.3d 57 (1st Cir. 2004) (counsel for CVS) (obtained directed verdict at close of plaintiffs' case in jury trial)
· Jung v. Association of American Medical Colleges, 339 F.Supp.2d 26 (D.D.C. 2004), aff'd, (D.C. Cir. 2006) (unpublished opinion), cert. denied, ___U.S. ____ (2007) (counsel for Massachusetts General Hospital)
· FCC children's television rulemaking: represented Turner Broadcasting System Inc. and AOL in FCC proceeding
· Verizon/MCI: represented Bright House Networks in DOJ and FCC reviews of merger
· FCC retransmission consent regulations: represented Coalition for Retransmission Consent Reform in FCC regulatory proceedings
· C-SPAN-FCC, 531 F.3rd 105 (D.C. Cir. 2008) (counsel for C-SPAN)
· Quest Services Corp v. FCC, 398 F.3rd 666 (D.C. Cir. 2007) (counsel for iBasis)
· Covad Communications Co. v. FCC, 450 F.3rd 528 (D.C. Cir. 2006) (counsel for Covad)
· Turner Broadcasting System, Inc. v. FCC, 520 U.S. 180 (1997) and Turner Broadcasting System, Inc. v. FCC, 512 U.S. 622 (1994) (counsel for Turner)
Recognitions & Awards
· Chambers USA: District of Columbia - Antitrust (2012 - 2013)
· Washington DC Super Lawyers: Antitrust Litigation (2012 - 2013)
· Best Lawyers in America: Antitrust Law (2012 - 2014)
· Nightingale's Healthcare News: Outstanding Healthcare Antitrust Lawyer (2007 - 2009)
· Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent
Professional & Community Involvement
· Member, American Bar Association
· Member, District of Columbia Bar Association
· Member, Federal Communications Bar Association