Mr. Handlos, a partner, joined Kutak Rock LLP's Omaha office in 1998. He concentrates his practice on bank regulatory and consumer financial services matters. Mr. Handlos represents banks, nonbank financial services providers, and commercial customers acquiring financial services products. His experience includes consumer compliance (particularly credit card issuer representation), retail banking, operations, treasury services and core bank regulatory topics. Mr. Handlos strives for simplicity and practicality in the protection of his clients.
• Consumer compliance experience includes regulation of usury and fees, CARD Act, Truth-in-Lending, Equal Credit Opportunity, Fair Credit Reporting, Fair Debt Collection Practices, Truth-in-Savings, Expedited Funds Availability, Electronic Funds Transfers, Privacy, and state laws, among other things.
• Retail banking experience includes traditional brick and mortar deposit and credit products, ATM issues, prepaid products, online banking, and local, multi-state and national programs.
• Cash management and treasury products experience includes UCC 3, 4 and 4A issues, Check 21, Federal Reserve system and clearing house rules, ACH and wire services products, negotiable instruments, lock box/remittance processing, and remote deposit and image cash letter products, among other things.
• Core bank regulatory experience includes portfolio acquisitions, corporate acquisitions, state and federal regulation and supervision, permissible activities, preemption and exporting, transactions with affiliates, BSA/AML issues and regulatory enforcement.
Prior to joining Kutak Rock Mr. Handlos practiced in the same areas for 14 years with another Omaha firm. He has a peer review rating of AV by Martindale-Hubbell , and his bank regulatory expertise has been noted in Chambers USA.
• Representation of regional multistate bank holding company and its affiliates, including a top-15 credit card issuer, in a wide variety of regulatory and transactional matters.
• Representation of clients before state and federal regulators to obtain favorable interpretations on novel questions and changes in existing regulatory provisions.
• Assisted international funds transfer organization with establishment of stored value card program.
• Counsel to clients in connection with various arrangements between banking and non-banking organizations to deliver financial products, including affinity, co-branding, sponsorship and rent-a-charter arrangements.
• Past experience also includes a wide variety of financial institution-related technology matters, including large scale systems acquisitions for multiple data centers, licensing, hardware and software development, service bureau processing, distribution arrangements, off-shoring and other transactions.
June 3, 2014 Bryan Handlos Authors Bitcoin Article in the Nebraska Banker
Bryan Handlos, a partner in the Omaha office, recently authored an article, Bitcoins & Banking: Bona Fide or Balderdash?, featured in the May/June issue of Nebraska Banker, the official publication of the Nebraska Bankers Association.
May 23, 2014 Kutak Rock Recognized by Chambers USA
Kutak Rock is pleased to announce its Arkansas, Kansas and Nebraska offices and attorneys are honored in the 2014 Chambers USA guide to the best law firms and lawyers.
May 1, 2013 Successful Purchase of Credit Card Portfolio
August 3, 2011 Chambers: 24 Midwest 'Leading Business Lawyers'
Firm Applauded by Clients, Peers for Attorney Abilities and Conduct
August 3, 2010 Chambers: 24 Midwest 'Leading Business Lawyers'
June 2, 2014 Bitcoins & Banking: Bona Fide or Balderdash?
•Rating of AV by Martindale-Hubbell
•Listed in Chambers USA