Practice/Industry Group Overview
The Employment & Labor Practice Area of Buckingham, Doolittle & Burroughs has an established objective of providing comprehensive legal advice and representation to employers of all sizes in an effort to meet their needs. We work to stay ahead of the curve by knowing the law and recognizing industry trends, so that we can help you take advantage of them.
Buckingham, Doolittle & Burroughs provides support to employers throughout all aspects of the employment relationship and assists in navigating the constantly shifting maze of employment issues that employers face on a day-to-day basis. From screening, selection and hiring of personnel through discharge planning and post-discharge litigation proceedings, our team of legal professionals can prepare to assist with any human resource, payroll, benefits, workers’ compensation or other employee-related or union issues your organization may face. Buckingham, Doolittle & Burroughs trains and educates employers to be proactive and assists in the creation of best practices and policies.
Our employment and labor clients include national, regional and local employers in manufacturing, technology, transportation, finance, retail, restaurant, health care and service industries, as well as public employers such as municipalities, universities, school boards and other governmental agencies and non-profit entities.
We feel that the breadth of our experience representing employers in a wide variety of proceedings is our strength. We have handled proceedings before the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), the National Labor Relations Board (NLRB), and the Department of Labor (DOL).
Despite an employer’s best efforts, claims or lawsuits cannot always be avoided and we also represent employers in both state and federal court on matters including employment discrimination claims, wage and hour disputes, and contractual violations. For unionized clients, we offer representation at the negotiation table, in day-to-day contract administration and in arbitration. We also provide counseling and handling of workers’ compensation claims.
Our attorneys have been recognized as “Super Lawyers,” “Rising Stars” and “Best Lawyers in America,” and our practice area includes individuals certified as Labor and Employment Specialists by the Ohio State Bar Association under the auspices of the Supreme Court.
AREAS OF PRACTICE
- Employment Discrimination and Harassment Litigation and Arbitration
- Wrongful Discharge and Retaliation Litigation and Arbitration
- Defense of Union Organizing Campaigns
- Collective Bargaining and Grievance Arbitration
- National Labor Relations Board (NLRB) Proceedings
- State Employment Relations Board Proceedings
- Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) Compliance and Proceedings
- Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) Proceedings
- Ohio Civil Rights Commission (OCRC) Proceedings
- Wage and Hour Proceedings, including Class and Collective Action Litigation under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA)
- ERISA and employee benefits
- Unfair Competition, Non-Compete, and Trade Secret Litigation
- Negotiation of Executive Contracts and Compensation
- Unemployment Proceedings, including Job & Family Services Proceedings and Litigation
- Day-to-Day Labor and Employment Advice
- Personnel Practices Consulting
- Training of Management and Staff