Practice/Industry Group Overview
Buckingham, Doolittle & Burroughs, LLP, founded in 1913, offers comprehensive legal services to a wide range of clients. Buckingham, Doolittle & Burroughs' Employment & Labor Services Practice Group continues a long-established tradition of providing professional labor and employment relations advice and representation to employers in regard to all aspects of the employment relationship. From screening, selection, and hiring of personnel through discharge planning and post-discharge contractual, administrative, or litigation proceedings, our team of legal professionals is prepared to assist with any human resource, payroll, benefits, workers’ compensation, or other employee-related issue your organization might face.
We represent employers in administrative proceedings before agencies such as the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, the National Labor Relations Board, the Ohio Industrial Commission, the Ohio Civil Rights Commission, and the Unemployment Compensation Review Commission. We also represent employers in both state and federal courts on matters including employment discrimination claims, wage and hour disputes, and contractual violations. For our unionized clients, we represent them at the negotiation table, in day to day contract administration, and in arbitration. Our employment and labor clients include national, regional and local employers in manufacturing, transportation, finance, retail, restaurant, health care and service industries, as well as public employers such as municipalities, universities, school boards and other governmental agencies and not-for-profit entities.
Our attorneys have been recognized as “Super Lawyers,” “Rising Stars,” or “Best Lawyers in America,” and our practice group includes individuals Certified as Labor and Employment Specialists by the Ohio State Bar Association under the auspices of the Supreme Court.
We look at our practice as a partnership with our clients – combining outstanding legal service with practical, cost-effective solutions. We believe first-class legal service does not necessitate excessive legal fees, but, instead, necessitates service based on value.
Areas of Focus
- Employment Discrimination and Harassment Litigation and Arbitration
- Wrongful Discharge and Retaliation Litigation and Arbitration
- Defense of Union Organizing Campaigns
- Collective Bargaining and Grievance Arbitration
- National Labor Relations Board Proceedings
- State Employment Relations Board Proceedings
- Occupational Safety and Health Administration Proceedings
- Equal Employment Opportunity Commission Proceedings
- Ohio Civil Rights Commission Proceedings
- Wage and Hour Proceedings, including Class and Collective Action Litigation
- All aspects of Workers’ Compensation Proceedings, including Litigation
- ERISA Litigation
- Unfair Competition and Trade Secret Litigation
- Unemployment Proceedings, including Job & Family Services Proceedings and Litigation
- Day-to-Day Labor and Employment Advise
- Personnel Practices Consulting
- Drafting and Review of handbooks, job descriptions, and contracts
- Federal and State Compliance and Audit Assistance