Practice/Industry Group Overview
Buckley King's healthcare industry practice includes attorneys who have dedicated their careers to the education and representation of healthcare organizations and professionals.
With a solid understanding and appreciation of the still-emerging challenges, responsibilities and regulatory requirements surrounding healthcare, we provide practical insight and guidance on important issues. Our integrated approach draws from capabilities among practitioners focused in corporate law, real estate, finance, transactions, employment and labor, litigation, white collar and business practices, government policy and intellectual property.
Hospitals, physicians and physician groups, medical professionals, ancillary service providers, suppliers of healthcare-related goods, and medical academia look to Buckley King to help them manage day-to-day operations, solve challenges, and work towards practice and management objectives.
Corporate + Transactions
- Governance, restructuring transactions, mergers, acquisitions, dispositions, affiliations, joint operating arrangements and joint ventures, including those that involve for-profit and non-profit combinations.
- Structure joint ventures and collaborations between and among physicians, physician groups, hospitals, research enterprises and healthcare service providers.
- Assist in establishing alternative structures, including management service organizations.
- Successfully defended a major hospital system and its subsidiaries in two antitrust actions related to the validity and enforceability of exclusive provider contracts with hospital-based physicians, including claims of attempted monopolization, exclusive dealing and tying arrangements, as well as challenges to the hospitals' credentials and bylaws.
Employment + Labor
- Counsel on a full range of general and specialized employment and labor issues, including discrimination, wage and hour issues, OSHA and safety compliance issues, medical staff review board and peer review proceedings, and physican contracts.
Malpractice, Negligence + Wrongful Death Litigation
- Represent healthcare providers, including hospitals, medical schools, emergency rooms, nursing homes, specialists, ancillary service providers, physicians and their staff in medical malpractice, negligence, wrongful death and premises liability matters, providing successful defense in courts throughout the country and limiting malpractice exposure through effective risk management and peer review programs.
- Defended mass tort involving thousands of plaintiffs, physicians' practices, endoscopy products and allegations of Hepatitis C.
- Defended pharmaceutical manufacturers, including in first cases involving phenylpropanolamine.
Medical Board Licensure + Disciplinary Proceedings
Professional Licensing + Disputes
- Provide counsel on licensure, accreditation matters, affiliation agreements, compensation models and research requirements.
- Represent healthcare providers before state and licensing boards.
- Provide counsel on credentialing and peer review matters.
- Represent impaired providers in need of treatment for substance abuse or mental health issues.
Risk Management + Risk Management Education
- Provide guidance through data breach crisis management, investigation, notification and follow-up actions -- including litigation defense.