For more than 30 years, financial services companies have looked to Grig Scifres for responsive and efficient assistance with originating, documenting, restructuring and enforcing all types of credit facilities. He assists creditors with resolving problem loans and distressed debt, and helps businesses acquire assets from bankrupt companies. Grig also helps developers of mixed-use, apartment, hotel and headquarters projects with acquisitions, sales, construction, financing and franchise license transactions.
His experience encompasses asset-based loans, syndicated financings, financings of tax credit projects, issuance and credit enhancement of tax-exempt bonds, securitization financings, UCC Article 9 issues, lender liability issues, loan workouts, bankruptcy, real and personal property foreclosures, consumer credit issues and loan participations.
Businesses that rely on Grig's help include commercial banks, non-bank financial services companies, hotel developers and real estate developers. He understands these businesses, their customers, their challenges and how they work.
Clients seeking experienced, pragmatic and responsive assistance may want to consider adding Grig to their team.
Projects for commercial banks in 2012 include:
· Assisted with real estate term loans for acquisitions of office facilities in Virginia, Ohio and Tennessee
· Assisted with construction and permanent financing for a tax credit apartment project
· Assisted with workouts, restructurings and foreclosures on a number of problem loans
Other 2012 projects include:
· Assisted developers with sale of an apartment site in a mixed use project
· Assisted with the acquisition of hotel land from the ground lessor
· Assisted with the sale of a retail site to a national retailer as part of a mixed use development
· Assisted with the purchase of raw land for development into a mixed use project
American Bankruptcy Institute
American Bar Association - Business Law Section - Real Property, Propate and Trust Law Section
National Association of Bond Lawyers
Tidewater Bankruptcy Bar Association
Virginia Bar Association
Virginia Beach Bar Association
Virginia State Bar - Business Section - Bankruptcy Section - Real Property Section
Awards & Honors
AV-Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
The Best Lawyers in America - Banking & Finance Law, Bankruptcy & Creditor - Debtors Rights/Insolvency & Reorganization Law
Best Lawyers' 2013 Norfolk Banking and Finance Law "Lawyer of the Year"
Virginia Business magazine, "Legal Elite" - Bankruptcy/Creditors' Rights
Virginia Super Lawyers magazine - Banking
· Hampton Roads Association of Commercial Real Estate
· Hampton Roads Chamber of Commerce - Past Chair
· Hampton Roads Economic Development Alliance - Executive Committee - Board of Directors
· Tidewater Builders Association - General Counsel - Board of Directors
· The Risk Management Association, Hampton Roads Chapter - Past President and Board of Directors
· Virginia Chamber of Commerce - Board of Directors - Executive Committee
· Carolinas/Virginias Chapter of the Risk Management Association - Board of Directors