Richard Colvin serves as chair of Strauss Troy's Corporate /Business Practices Group. He practices in the areas of corporate law, business law and business litigation. He has broad experience in corporate transactions including, but not limited to, corporate organization, tax free reorganizations, contract negotiations, mergers, acquisitions and entity formations.
Richard also has extensive business litigation experience in the corporate arena, including shareholder derivative cases, litigation arising from business breakups and joint ventures, breach of contract and non-compete agreements.
• Represented multi-state corporation in tax-free reorganization of operation into separate organizations.
• Represented large regional corporation in multi-million dollar acquisition of related business.
• Represented multi-state group of franchisees selling franchises back to corporate franchisor.
• Represented minority shareholders in a breach of fiduciary duty, breach of contract case adverse to a large international organization who was majority shareholder in the company. The case settled successfully with favorable terms for the plaintiffs prior to trial.
• Represented a joint venture partnership. The case was successfully tried and our client received a favorable verdict, which was affirmed by the Court of Appeals.
• Represented a minority shareholder plaintiff in a large national organization. The case was settled favorably prior to the commencement of trial.
• Represented numerous title companies in a nationally-known title defense matter, in which a Northern Kentucky builder absconded with tens of millions of dollars. The case was settled upon favorable terms whereby our client paid a very small portion of the resolution of the resulting class action.
• Represented the mortgage holder in a title insurance matter over a substantial dispute as to the validity of a multi-million dollar mortgage. Our client was successful at the trial court level.
Areas of Concentration
• Business Litigation
• Title Insurance Defense
• Northern Kentucky Chamber of Commerce
• Northern Kentucky Bar Association
• Northern Kentucky Small Business Committee
• Northern Kentucky Bar Association, Business and Tax Section
• Salmon P. Chase College of Law member, Dean's Circle
• Salmon P. Chase Mentor/Mentee program
• CASA, Board Member
Real Estate / Investment