Candace Renee Duff is a commercial trial attorney whose practice includes representation of local and national corporations in complex commercial litigation, construction litigation, insurance litigation, real estate litigation and products liability actions brought in state and federal courts as well as in administrative proceedings.
Areas of Concentration
· Complex commercial litigation
· Construction litigation
· Insurance litigation
· Products liability litigation
Professional & Community Involvement
· Co-Chair, Dade County Bar Association and Federal Bar Association, South Florida Chapter, Mindfulness in Law Joint Task Force
· Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Young Lawyers Division
-- Director, 1999-2000
-- Team Member, Beyond the Boundaries, Special Projects Team, 1998-1999
-- Editor, Affiliate Newsletter, 1997-1998
- Member, Forum on the Construction Industry, 2000-Present
-- Liaison, 2000-2002
· Member, Dade County Bar Association
- Director, 1998-2000
- Vice Chair, Banking & Corporate Litigation Committee, 1998-1999
- Tutor, Young Lawyers Section, Minority Bar Passage Project, 1997-1999
· Member, Federal Bar Association, South Florida Chapter
- First Vice President
- Director, 2011-Present
· Member, Florida Supreme Court, Florida Judicial Nominating Commission, 2006-2010
· Member, National Bar Association
- Director, Dade County Chapter, Women Lawyers Division, 1997-1999
- Past President, Dade County Chapter, Women Lawyers Division, 1996-1997
Awards & Recognition
· Fellow, Litigation Counsel of America
· Rated Outstanding for Written and Oral Presentation, American Bar Association, Third Annual Appellate Argument
· Rated, AV Preeminent® 5.0 out of 5
· Served as one of the lead trial attorneys for the plaintiff in a four-week jury trial in federal court of an insurance coverage case against a national insurer resulting in a verdict in excess of a million dollars.
· Served as lead counsel of a national retail corporation in commercial lease litigation in federal court and obtained summary judgment.
· Served as lead counsel for a national developer in the administrative appeal of a county's interpretation of local technical amendments to a building code.
· Served as second chair trial counsel in an Age Discrimination in Employment (ADEA) lawsuit in federal court and obtained a defense verdict.
· Served as a member of the trial team on behalf of the plaintiff in a RICO and fraud lawsuit in federal court that resulted in a jury verdict in excess of $50 million.
· Obtained a multimillion-dollar settlement for a real estate developer in a builder's risk insurance coverage case.
· Represented real estate developers in construction lien and defect litigation.
· Represented real estate developers in insurance coverage disputes.
· Defended developers in real estate litigation.
· Represented developers in suits against manufacturers and suppliers of defective building materials.
Publications & Presentations
Articles, Lectures & Publications
· Panelist, "Top Ten Blunders to Avoid in Depositions," Annual Committee CLE Conference, American Bar Association, Litigation Section, April 15, 2011
· Panelist, "Success Through Coaches, Mentors and Networking," South Florida Women's Conference, March 25, 2011
· Speaker, "Proving Damages Caused by Mold Infestation," National Business Institute, June 25, 2008
· Speaker, "Resolving Problems on Construction Projects," National Business Institute, August 7, 2007
· Panelist, "Construction 101 for ADR Practitioners," Alternative Dispute Resolution & Construction Litigation Committees CLE Seminar, American Bar Association, Litigation Section, November 11, 2005
· Speaker, "Hurricane Recovery: Restoration and Rebuilding After the Storm," Greenberg Traurig, P.A., November 9, 2005
· Panelist, "Joint and Several Issues at Trial: Examples From a Water Intrusion Case," Continuing Legal Education Teleconference, American Bar Association, Litigation Section, December 14, 2004
· Author, "Paying for the Sins of the Father: Civility and Professionalism (or the Lack Thereof) in the Practice of Law," Affiliate Newsletter, American Bar Association/Young Lawyers Division, Volume 23, No. 3, January/February 1998