Candy is a member of the Health Care Department, concentrating her practice in medical and dental malpractice defense, long-term care defense, health care law and other civil litigation, as well as related Orphans' Court matters. She has handled hundreds of significant matters, having represented a large number of hospitals, physicians and their practices, physicians' assistants, midwives, nurses and other health care practitioners.
Candy joined Marshall Dennehey in 1998 as a shareholder in the firm's Bethlehem office and went on to serve as a senior vice president and member of the board of directors for six years. She has taken nearly 100 major cases to trial in her career to date and has successfully defended numerous medical malpractice actions with demands in the multi-million dollar range. In addition, Candy has successfully resolved significant cases within policy limits when necessary.
Candy graduated magna cum laude with a Bachelor of Arts degree in psychology and elementary education from Moravian College in 1979. After several years in the educational field, she attended the Dickinson School of Law, where she received her juris doctor in 1985. Following graduation, Candy held a judicial clerkship until 1987 with the Honorable Alfred T. Williams, Jr., then president judge of the Court of Common Pleas of Northampton County. She subsequently began a legal career in insurance defense litigation, concentrating her practice in the areas of medical and dental malpractice defense.
Candy is admitted to practice in the Pennsylvania state courts, the Eastern District of Pennsylvania and the Supreme Court of the United States. She is a member of the Northampton County Bar Association, the Bar Association of Lehigh County and the Pennsylvania Bar Association, and is actively involved in committee work. She is a member of the Medical Legal Committee for both the Northampton County Bar Association and the Bar Association of Lehigh County. As the Mock Trial Committee chairman for the Northampton County Bar Association and coach/mentor for the Easton High School Mock Trial team, Candy works with area high school students to prepare for a trial presentation competition. Candy is also a frequent speaker on issues relevant to medical malpractice litigation.
The Pennsylvania Bar Association Commission on Women in the Profession has recognized Candy as the 2013 recipient of the Lynette Norton Award. The award recognizes and encourages female attorneys who excel in litigation skills and who are devoted to mentoring female lawyers. Candy was named a Pennsylvania Super Lawyer from 2005 to 2013 in the area of personal injury defense - medical malpractice, and was also named as one of the Top 50 Women Pennsylvania Super Lawyers in 2011, 2012 and 2013. She has received an AV Preeminent rating by LexisNexis Martindale-Hubbell and is a fellow in the Litigation Counsel of America, a trial lawyer honorary society comprised of less than one-half of one percent of American lawyers. Selection in this organization is based upon effectiveness and accomplishment at the trial level, as well as superior ethical reputation.
Candy is actively involved with her alma mater, having served as president of the Moravian College Alumni Board and as a member of the board of trustees of the college. She is also a member of the Comenius Society, the Moravian College Alumni Association. In addition, Candy has served as a guest speaker at LINC classes and other campus programs, and she has volunteered to serve as a mentor for law students at the Penn State Dickinson School of Law. Candy is a past member of the board of directors of the Center for Humanistic Change, Inc. and the Sayre Child Center, and she has served as a volunteer for the American Heart Association.
• Oh, What a Tangled Web We Weave: How the Internet Can Make or Break the Medical Professional Negligence Case, 63 rd Annual Joint Meeting of the Lehigh County Bar Association and Lehigh County Medical Society, September 9, 2014
• EMR and Electronic Communications with Patients: When is it Okay to Hit Send?, Pocono Medical Center Grand Rounds, December 2013
• Litigation Issues Arising From the Use of Electronic Medical Records, Northampton County Medical Society, September 2013
• The Art of Open Disclosure: Reporting and Notification of Medical Errors, Pocono Medical Center, June 2013
• So You Are Being Deposed...Things to Consider and Pitfalls to Avoid Central Pennsylvania Association for Health Care Risk Management, June 2013
• Caring for Yourself While Caring for Your Patients Sacred Heart Hospital of Allentown's Family Practice Residency Program, January 2010
• Tort Reform and The Impact Upon Medical Practitioners, presentation for physicians at Sacred Heart Hospital, 2005
• Update on Medical Legal Issues, presentation for physicians at St. Luke's Hospital, 2005
• Disclosure and Reporting of Medical Errors, presentation for physicians at Pocono Medical Center, 2005
• Patient Safety and Risk Management Seminar, presentation for physicians at Easton Hospital, 2005
• Presentation with President Judge Freedberg and Senior Judge Garb for Northampton County Medical Society on the Northampton County Medical Malpractice Mediation Program, 2005
• Dental Management in Pennsylvania: An Overview Regarding Recent Developments and Wages, Pennsylvania Dental Association & Eastern Dental Insurance Company, 1999
• Risk Management Issues in Orthopedic Practice, Warren Hospital, Phillipsburg, New Jersey, 1999
• How to Attack the Catastrophic Injury Claim, Medicine Malpractice Seminar, Adams Mark Hotel, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 1999
• Risk Management for General Surgeons, Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, 1998
• Chairside Risk Management, Lehigh Valley Dental Society, Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, 1997
• Informed Consent in the Family Practice Office, American Academy of Family Practitioners, Lehigh Valley Division, Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, 1997
• The Risk Management Seminar for Dentists in Eastern Pennsylvania, The Medical Protective Company, Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, 1997
• Risk Management Seminar Street Wise, The Medical Protective Company, Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania, 1996
Honors & Awards
• AV Preeminent by LexisNexis Martindale-Hubbell
• Litigation Counsel of America Fellows
• Lynette Norton Award, Pennsylvania Bar Association Commission on Women in the Profession, 2013
• Martindale-Hubbell Bar Register of Preeminent Women Lawyers , 2012
• Pennsylvania Super Lawyer, 2005-2014; Top 50 Women, 2011-2013
Year Joined Organization: 1998