- Affirmative Action
- Employment Litigation Prevention and Defense
|University ||University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA, B.A., Psychology, Minor in Sociology, 1991 Psychology Honor Society, Sigma Kappa Sorority|
|Law School||University of South Carolina, Columbia, SC, J.D., 1994 Law Review, Order of Wig & Robe, AmJur Award, Constitutional Law II|
|Admitted||1994, South Carolina; 1996, District of Columbia; 1997, United States District Court for the District of South Carolina; 1977, United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit|
|Born||Fairfax, Virginia, November 13, 1968|
Cara Crotty is a partner who has defended employers in cases involving every aspect of the employment relationship, including claims such as sexual, racial, age, and disability harassment; discrimination on the basis of race, sex, age, disability, and national origin; retaliation; and various other federal and state law claims. Cara Crotty also represents federal contractors covered by Executive Order 11246 in their affirmative action compliance obligations by assisting with Plan preparation and defending audits. Cara speaks regularly for various organizations.
Before joining Constangy, Cara worked as an Attorney-Advisor, Office of Administrative Law Judges, United States Department of Labor.
· South Carolina Chapter of Wage and Hour Laws: A State by State Survey (ABA Section of Labor & Employment Law, 2005-2009 Supplements)
· "It's Back: Employment-at-will Reinforced in South Carolina," The Job Description, DRI, Summer 2004
· Applying the Supreme Court's Affirmative Defense to Supervisor Harassment, The Labor Lawyer, Vol. 16, No. 3 (2000)
· " Worker Adjustment and Training Renotification Act," Labor and Employment Law for South Carolina Lawyers, Vol. I, Chap. 4 (S.C. Bar - CLE Division 1999 & 2004) (Co-Author with Henry S. Knight, Jr.)
· Application of State Law to Age Discrimination in Employment, 51 A.L.R.5th 1 (1997)
· Validity, Construction, and Application of Provision in Separation Agreement Affecting Distribution or Payment of Attorney's Fees, 47 A.L.R.5th 207 (1997)
· Tort Damages and the Implied Covenant of Good Faith and Fair Dealing: Not Well Received in Employment Contracts, The Job Description, Summer 1997
Awards & Recognition
· AV® Peer Review Rated By Martindale-Hubbell
· South Carolina Diversity Council, Board of Directors (2007-2009)
· South Carolina Industry Liaison Group, Board of Directors (2003-2009), Member (2003-Present)
· Graduate, Leadership Columbia (2002)
· Member, SHRM, Columbia Chapter
· Member, South Carolina Healthcare Association
· National Industry Liaison Group, Board of Directors
Other Personal Background Information and Interests
· Cara is married to an attorney, enjoys walking her dog Fannie, and her favorite hobby, reading.
· Defense of employment litigation
· Affirmative Action planning and audit defense
Documents by this lawyer on Martindale.com
OFCCP Releases Mandatory Self-ID Form
Cara Yates Crotty, February 6, 2014
The Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs has issued the form that contractors must use to solicit self-identification of disability information from applicants and employees. The revised regulations require that contractors solicit this information from (1) applicants; (2) individuals who...
OFCCP Sued by Manufacturers Association
Cara Yates Crotty, February 6, 2014
The National Association of Manufacturers and one of its affiliates has filed a lawsuit against the U.S. Deparment of Labor and the OFCCP, challenging the requirement that federal contractors post a notice informing employees of their rights under the National Labor Relations Act. The plaintiffs...
OFCCP's "Game-Changing" Regulations - Affirmative Action Alert
Cara Yates Crotty,Angelique Groza Lyons, September 4, 2013
After more than two years of anticipation, the Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs released its Final Rules updating the regulations implementing Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act and Section 4212 of the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Assistance Act.
View Ratings & Reviews
|Profile Visibility |
|#105 in weekly profile views out of 3,606 lawyers in Columbia, South Carolina|
|#55,930 in weekly profile views out of 1,505,564 total lawyers Overall|