Carl Fornaris is Co-Chair of the firm's Financial Regulatory and Compliance Practice. With nearly 20 years of legal experience, Carl concentrates his practice on the representation of financial services firms in all aspects of their business. In particular, he represents U.S. and non-U.S. firms on finance and corporate matters, and provides supervisory and compliance counseling for institutions regulated by the Federal Reserve, OCC, FDIC, Florida Office of Financial Regulation and other state supervisory authorities.
Carl is also active representing lenders and credit parties in financing transactions of all types, particularly credits to non-U.S. loan parties, asset-based credits, acquisition financing and letters of credit.
Carl actively advises banks, their holding companies, investment advisers, securities broker dealers, money services businesses and other financial institutions on capital-raising transactions, CFPB issues, critical examination reports and enforcement proceedings, and compliance with the Dodd-Frank Act, FATCA, USA PATRIOT Act and OFAC regulations. Carl also advises former officers and directors of failed banks in connection with threatened or actual administrative and civil claims.
Carl is the current General Counsel of the Florida International Bankers' Association and sits on the Executive Committee of FIBA. Previously, he served as Head of Legal and Compliance for the Latin America region of Barclays Bank PLC, with responsibility for managing legal and compliance matters throughout the region of Latin America. He began his legal career in Washington, D.C. with an international law firm.
Areas of Concentration
· Banking and financial services law, regulation and compliance
· Commercial lending
· Latin America cross-border transactions
· Anti-money laundering and OFAC compliance
Awards & Recognition
· Listed, The Best Lawyers in America, Banking and Finance Law; Corporate Law; Financial Services Regulation Law; Securities / Capital Markets Law; Securities Regulation, 2008-2014
- "Lawyer of the Year," Securities Regulation, Miami, 2014
· Team Member, Corporate Board Member magazine and FTI Consulting Inc., one of "America's Best Corporate Law Firms," 13th Annual Legal Industry Study, 2013
· Listed, South Florida Legal Guide, "South Florida's Top Lawyers," 2011-2013
· Listed, Super Lawyers magazine, Florida Super Lawyers, 2007-2013
· Listed, Chambers USA Guide, 2005-2013
· Team Member, "Corporate & Finance - Law Firm of the Year (Florida-Based)," Chambers Latin America Awards, 2010, 2011 and 2013
· Member, team ranked as a top corporate law firm in Miami as selected by corporate directors, in the annual "Legal Industry Research Study," Corporate Board Member magazine and FTI Consulting Inc. (10th year), 2002-2009, 2011-2012
· Listed, Chambers Global, 2009-2011
· Listed, Chambers Latin America, Corporate M&A, 2009
· Team Member, "Focus on Latin America - Law Firm of the Year (Florida-Based)," Chambers Latin America Inaugural Awards for Excellence, 2009
· Listed, Who's Who Legal Florida, 2008
· Listed, Florida Trend magazine, "Legal Elite," 2006-2008
· Recipient, "Pro Bono Service Award," Dade County Bar Association, 2005
(Also at Washington, D.C. Office)