Carl's practice focuses on strategic intellectual property counseling, including advice on patent infringement and validity, preparation and prosecution of patent applications, US and international trademark counseling and prosecution, branding strategies, trademark and copyright infringement, domain name disputes, and licensing.
Carl has drafted and prosecuted patents on behalf of entities ranging from individual inventors to large multinationals in diverse technical areas, including high technology/software, medical devices, and clean technology.
Carl additionally has extensive experience performing intellectual property audits and due diligence for companies and investors in connection with various commercial transactions, including mergers and acquisitions, venture financings, and underwritten public offerings.
Before joining Mintz Levin, Carl worked for a national intellectual property law firm, a European intellectual property law firm, and a Los Angeles area high-technology incubator as its general counsel.
While in law school, he served as a legal extern for the Honorable Randall R. Rader, US Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, as well as for Ranking Member Sen. Joseph R. Biden Jr. in connection with the US Senate Committee on the Judiciary.
• Mintz Levin Attorney Carl A. Kukkonen III Named a Top Intellectual Property Lawyer in California by Daily Journal, ( 04.09.2014 )
• Three Mintz Levin Members Named to San Diego Daily Transcript's 2013 Top Attorneys List, ( 06.13.2013 )
• Quoted in Impact of Patent Reforms Could Take Years to Unfold, San Diego Daily Transcript ( 09.19.2012 )
• Three Mintz Levin Members Named to San Diego Daily Transcript's 2012 Top Attorneys List, ( 07.18.2012 )
• Two Mintz Levin Members Named to San Diego Daily Transcript's 2011 Top Attorneys List, ( 07.22.2011 )
• Carl A. Kukkonen, III Selected a 2009 40 Under 40 Honoree by San Diego Metropolitan, ( 09.08.2009 )
• Quoted in Making Connections, Managing Risk in Startup Deals: A Visit to Boston Law Firm Mintz Levin, Xconomy.com ( 08.25.2009 )
• Multiple Mintz Levin Attorneys Named to San Diego Daily Transcript's 2008 Top Attorneys List, ( 07.16.2008 )
• Three Mintz Levin Attorneys Named Top Attorneys by San Diego Daily Transcript, ( 08.01.2007 )
• Mintz Levin Advises SpectraSensors, Inc. in Completion of $14 Million C-Round Investment, ( 07.10.2007 )
Awards & Recognitions
•Daily Journal: Named Among Top 25 Portfolio Managers/Patent Prosecutors in California (2014)
•San Diego Daily Transcript: Top Attorneys (2006 - 2008, 2011 - 2014)
•San Diego Metropolitan: 40 Under 40 (2009)
• Co-author, The Law That Protects the Appearance of Your Website, Trademark Advisory ( 04.15.2011 )
• Co-author, USPTO Expands Green Technology Pilot Program to Cover More Inventions, Energy & Clean Technology Intellectual Property Alert ( 06.04.2010 )
• Author, USPTO Announces Program to Accelerate Review of Green Technology, Energy & Clean Technology Intellectual Property Alert ( 12.10.2009 )
• Co-author, Solar and Small Wind: Poised to Weather Economic Storm, San Diego Daily Transcript ( 11.06.2008 )
• Co-author, A Look at the Changing Landscape of Patent Prosecution, San Diego Business Journal ( 02.11.2008 )
• Author, Emerging Patent Issues in Cleantech, IP Law 360 / Energy Law 360 ( 08.03.2007 )
• Author, IP Article: Emerging Patent Issues In Cleantech, Law360 ( 08.03.2007 )
• Author, Cleantech: Investing in a Sustainable Industry, San Diego Daily Transcript ( 07.27.2007 )
• Co-author, More Companies Seek Patents in Unconventional Areas, Boston Business Journal ( 06.2007 )
• Co-author, Intellectual Property Article: Expanding Preconceptions of Patentable Matter, BizSanDiego ( 04.30.2007 )
• Co-author, Expanding Preconceptions of Patentable Matter, bizSanDiego ( 04.2007 )
• Author, When in Doubt, Spell It Out: Complying with a Patentee's Duty of Disclosure, San Diego Daily Transcript ( 02.28.2007 )
• Speaker, Anatomy of a Patent, Harvey Mudd College, Harvey Mudd College (09.2014)
• Speaker, Welcome and Opening Remarks, Power of Angel Investing Seminar, Tech Coast Angels, San Diego, CA (05.01.2014)
• Speaker, The New “Public Offering” to Accredited Investors, Mintz Levin, San Diego, CA (11.13.2013)
• Speaker, The Power of Patents, Harvey Mudd College, Harvey Mudd College (09.2012)
• Speaker, Patent Marking: Best Practices and License Agreement Provisions, Post-Bon Tool, San Diego Chapter of the Assocation of Corporate Counsel, San Diego, CA (05.20.2010)
• Clean Tech 2010: Opportunities for a New Decade, Mintz Levin, San Diego, CA (03.25.2010)
• Speaker, Safeguarding IP and Generating Cash from R&D Tax Credits, Mintz Levin and BDO Seidman, LLP (11.20.2009)
• Speaker, Strategic Intellectual Property Portfolio Development, US Department of Commerce Clean Technology Program (04.2009)
• Panelist, Develop the Winning Strategy: Avoid the Most Common Mistakes Made by CEOs, CONNECT (02.2009)
• Panelist, Intellectual Property Roundtable, San Diego Daily Transcript (01.2009) (Also at San Diego and Los Angeles Offices)