Carlo Vairo joined Dentons' Toronto office as a Consultant in 2013. He specializes in all areas of asset finance and leasing with a particular emphasis on aircraft transactions. He advises lenders, lessors, manufacturers and operators of aircraft, rolling stock and other assets in respect of all aspects of acquisition, sale, financing (including pre-delivery financing), tax-based leasing and operating leasing.
Carlo is an accredited Professional Engineer (P.Eng.) in Ontario.
• Representing financiers/lessors in financing and leasing of aircraft and aircraft engines to Canadian airlines, including novation of existing leases and sale/leasebacks
• Handling aircraft repossession and bankruptcy disputes, including with NAV Canada and Canada's various airport authorities, and other general aviation commercial disputes
• Advising on all aspects of aircraft hull, liability, war risk and political risk insurance, as well as aircraft repossession/deregistration insurance
• Advising buyers, sellers, operators, managers and charterers on all aspects of business/corporate aircraft transactions
• Negotiating finance and leasing documents for business/corporate aircraft financiers, including mortgages, capital leases and operating leases
• Working with other members of the firm in providing regulatory advice to airline clients relating to Transport Canada and the Canadian Transportation Agency. Deals on a regular basis with, and well respected and known to, Canadian regulators
• Dealing with Transport Canada on certification, airworthiness, registration, deregistration, import and export matters, and with the Canadian Transportation Agency on licensing, code-sharing, and foreign investment/control issues and proceedings
• Working with various foreign aviation authorities on regulatory matters applicable to Canadian aircraft
• Representing foreign air operators and business/corporate aircraft owners in relation to Canadian regulatory matters, including cabotage, foreign ownership, licensing and landing rights
• Represented creditors, including financiers and lessor of aircraft, in every significant Canadian airline bankruptcy proceeding in the last 10 years, including Skyservice Airlines, Canada 3000, Royal Airlines, All-Canada Express, Air Canada, Jazz, Jetsgo and Zoom Airlines, among others
• Recognized in the 2011 edition of Euromoney/Legal Media Group's Guide to the World's Leading Aviation Lawyers.
• "Aircraft repossessions in Canada," Airfinance Journal - Guide to Aviation Lawyers 2011, September 2011.
• "The Business of Owning a Business Aircraft," Report on Business, May 2009.
Activities and Affiliations
• Member, Canadian Bar Association, Air and Space Law Section
• Member, American Bar Association, Aircraft Financing Subcommittee
• Member, Ontario Bar Association
• Member, Professional Engineers Ontario
• Member, Canadian Business Aviation Association