Carrie Appler concentrates her practice in the areas of insurance coverage, professional liability, and commercial litigation. She has extensive experience in matters and claims involving commercial general liability (CGL) policy coverage issues, including additional insured status, late notice, assault and battery exclusions, business risk exclusions, coverage for intellectual property claims, and employment-related incidents. Her professional liability experience includes matters involving malpractice claims against lawyers.
Carrie has written articles on topics related to her practice, including insurance coverage and reinsurance. During law school, she served as the executive editor for the Buffalo Criminal Law Review.
An accomplished violist, Carrie has performed with several orchestras, including the Orchard Park Symphony, the Catskill Symphony, and the University of Buffalo Symphony Orchestra.
• Upstate New York Super Lawyers, Rising Stars 2013 (Insurance Coverage)
• Defense Research Institute
• New York State Bar Association: Torts, Insurance & Compensation Law Section
• Co-Editor, Goldberg Segalla Legal Update
• Co-Author, "Coverage Implications of the Subprime-Mortgage Meltdown,"Mealey's Emerging InsuranceDisputes, December 2007
• Co-Author, "The Gentlemen's Disagreement: Recent Trends in Reinsurance Law," For The Defense,Defense Research Institute, May 2006
• Contributing Author, "Personal Line Pilot," International Risk Management Institute, IRMI.com, a monthly e-newsletter addressing issues in personal lines coverage
• Co-Author, "Misrepresentations in An Insurance Application: There Are Dangers in Those Lies," Presented by Thomas F. Segalla at the Federation of Defense and Corporate Counsel Mid-Winter Meeting, 2006
• Co-Author, "Reinsurance Concepts in Today's Environment: What You Need to Know," Defense Research Institute, Insurance Coverage Practice Symposium, December 2005