Practice/Industry Group Overview
Our German Practice is a team of experienced German-speaking attorneys providing legal solutions and representation to clients in the United States. We also advise U.S. and foreign companies entering the German market. CBM’s German Practice is one of the largest on the West Coast of the United States. We advise German Fortune 100 companies as well as mid-size and smaller businesses.
Specialized Legal Expertise and Experience
Attorneys in our German Practice:
- are versed in typical legal issues German and other European companies face in California and across the United States;
- are licensed and have practiced law both in the United States and in Germany; and
- cover the areas of legal expertise that are most important your enterprise.
"We Speak the Same Language"
The members of our German practice group are fluent in German and in other languages, including French, Spanish, and Latvian. Because of our cross-cultural focus, we stay abreast of the legal, business and cultural developments in Germany and in Europe. Since we know the German legal system, we understand how our clients operate and their expectations.
Access to the Entire Spectrum of CBM’s Legal Services
CBM's German Practice is highly interdisciplinary. By involving specialized attorneys from other practice areas within the firm as needed, our German clients can tap into the firm's full array of services, including:
- Renewable Energy: CBM's Renewable Energy Team advises and represents German and American companies producing or importing components and equipment for solar, wind and other renewable energy facilities in the United States; developers of energy generation plants; as well as investors and facility operators.
- Business Law and Corporate Transactions: Attorneys within and outside of our German Practice have extensive experience in business and corporate law, including general business law and contract negotiations, corporate law, mergers and acquisitions (M&A) and venture capital with a special focus on cross-border transactions.
- Intellectual Property: We advise clients concerning software and technology development and licensing, Software-as-a-Service (SAAS); registration and protection of trademarks and copyrights, trade secrets, unfair trade practices, and unfair competition. In addition, we represent German companies in United States patent litigation.
- Employment Law: We support our clients by providing effective consultation in employment matters, drafting of employment contracts and litigation of employment disputes.
- Litigation: CBM has a long-standing tradition as one of California's foremost litigation firms. For the past 30 years, our firm has represented German companies in major litigation in California and across the United States. As a result, we are particularly familiar with the legal needs of foreign clients called into court in the United States.
- Litigation Coordination and Complex Litigation: Throughout the years, CBM has served as litigation oversight and coordination counsel for German clients of dramatically different sizes. We can help significantly improve defense strategy and overall results in individual lawsuits, class actions or complex litigation – whether it's for a large manufacturer looking for consistent, high-quality litigation defense, or a small company wanting this same expertise on a less frequent basis.
- Product Liability: Defense of product liability actions is one of the firm's foremost areas of expertise. We also counsel clients in the areas of products documentation, establishment of import and distribution networks, risk assessment, state and federal regulatory issues, and national coordination of product liability litigation.