Chad Mills focuses his practice on structured energy transactions and related energy trading agreements, project and infrastructure development and finance, mergers and acquisitions, and other corporate transactions. With a long history of serving clients in the energy sector and a superior understanding of the gas, electric power and oil businesses, Chad facilitates the successful execution of energy transactions and benefits clients with his exceptional understanding of the commercial and legal issues at play.
Chad's clients include prominent financial institutions, energy companies, developers and investors involved in developing and financing energy infrastructure, as well as supply, off-take and hedging transactions. Many of Chad's transactions have included significant structured credit components.
Chad also supports various clients in the energy industry in the acquisition, divestiture and development of power facilities, including renewable energy, and natural gas and midstream assets. He has been involved in developing a number of energy import and export projects involving liquefied natural gas, compressed natural gas and natural gas liquids.
Chad is recognized as a leading lawyer by multiple independent commentators, including by The Best Lawyers in America, which named him a "Lawyer of the Year" in the area of Derivatives and Futures Law. He has also been listed in Texas' Best Lawyers and Super Lawyers.
Chad received his J.D., summa cum laude, from University of Houston Law Center, where he served on the Houston Law Review, and his B.S. from The University of Texas at Austin.
Finance and Structured Transactions
• Represented J. Aron & Co. as gas supplier in a number of tax-exempt bond financed prepaid natural gas transactions.
• Represented financial institutions in structured credit hedging and off-take arrangement supporting the development or acquisition of power plants and other energy assets.
• Represented several financial institutions in providing secured and mezzanine financing to retail electricity and gas providers.
• Negotiated power off-take and fuel purchase arrangements for several project-financed power plants.
Corporate and M&A
• Represented J. Aron & Co. in its acquisition of Nexen's natural gas marketing and trading business.
• Represented an energy company in the sale of two natural gas liquids pipelines.
• Represented the purchaser in the acquisition of several liquefied natural gas regasification vessels.
• Negotiated and drafted more than 60 short- and long-term LNG sale and purchase agreements for major international and national oil and gas companies, financial institutions and utilities.
• Represented the underwriters in the proposed public spinoff of a natural gas pipeline system.
Project Development and Finance
• Represented Magnolia LNG in developing an LNG export terminal.
• Represented a developer in the development of several compressed natural gas export projects.
• Represented the developer in developing a floating liquefied natural gas regasification facility.
• Represented developers in the development of two crude-by-rail projects.
News & Resources
Cadwalader Adds Chad Mills to Energy and Commodities Practice in Houston
Mar 03, 2015