Practice/Industry Group Overview
Chamberlain Hrdlicka has an extremely successful and highly regarded appellate presence, which supplements the firm's diverse litigation practice. We handle appellate matters in state and federal courts throughout the United States. We have the ability and resources to handle appeals for large national and multi-national corporations, small to mid-sized companies, and individuals, both in support of and attacking judgments and the pursuit of alternative appellate remedies. We regularly handle “bet the company” cases.
As with our litigation philosophy, we align our appellate strategies with the client’s interests and objectives to achieve the desired result in the most efficient way possible. Cognizant of the often lengthy duration of appeals, we are sensitive to the cost and expense and strive to achieve exceptional results for clients at a reasonable cost. Our appellate attorneys are seasoned and skilled, having collectively handled hundreds of briefs and oral arguments in appellate courts across the country.
Areas of Expertise
Our attorneys routinely and effectively manage every aspect of the appellate process, including:
- Preparation of the jury charge
- Handling post-trial proceedings, including all post-verdict motions necessary for error preservation
- Suspension of judgment issues, including supersedeas bond or execution disputes and enforcement of the Texas bond cap and alternative bond amounts
- Post-judgment discovery
- Appellate level mediations
- Motions for rehearing and rehearing en banc, as well as motions relating to issuance of the court’s mandate
- Mandamus proceedings
- Handling briefing and oral argument in both intermediate appellate courts and courts of last resort in multiple jurisdictions
The legal expertise of our appellate practictioners has produced many landmark successes in state and federal courts of appeals. Among other groundbreaking decisions, our attorneys have won favorable opinions in areas of commercial disputes, torts, premises liability, products liability, exemplary damages, employment matters, and governmental liability/immunity. Shareholder Kevin Jewell is a frequent advocate in the Supreme Court of Texas and has handled the appellate aspects of many high-profile matters, including the defense of a homebuilder against claims brought by actress Sandra Bullock.