Chantal Saunders specializes in intellectual property, with an emphasis on patent litigation and particularly pharmaceutical litigation under the Patented Medicines (Notice of Compliance) Regulations. She is a lawyer and registered patent agent in the Ottawa office of Borden Ladner Gervais LLP. Her practice also involves copyright and trade-mark infringement litigation, and Access to Information Act matters. She has appeared before the Federal Courts on patent, trade-mark and copyright matters. Chantal also advises clients with respect to data protection, and issues arising in respect of the Patent Register, and the Patented Medicine Prices Review Board.
· Appeared before the Federal Court and the Federal Court of Appeal.
· Acting as counsel for innovator companies in proceedings brought pursuant to the Patented Medicines (Notice of Compliance) Regulations.
· Acting as counsel in patent infringement and patent impeachment actions.
· Acting as counsel in trademark infringement and expungement proceedings.
· Acting as counsel in a copyright infringement action.
· Acting as counsel for innovator companies in judicial review proceedings relating to listing of patents on the Patent Register.
· Advising clients with respect to data protection, listing patents on the Patent Register and reporting patents to the Patented Medicine Prices Review Board.
Publication & Presentation
Chantal is a frequent blogger on the "BLG Not-for-Profit and Charity Law in Canada Blog". This Blog is intended to be of value to anyone in Canada who has any involvement with Not-For-Profit Organizations or Charities.
· Contributing Author and Co-Editor, BLG's Intellectual Property Weekly Abstracts Bulletin.
· Author, "Examinations for Discovery," Intellectual Property Disputes: Resolutions and Remedies, Carswell, 2003-present (with Kevin LaRoche; 2012 supplement).
· Author, "Changing Standards Re Patent Utility Problematic for Industry," Drug Development & Outsourcing Guide 2012, Contact Canada.
· Contributing Editor, Canadian Food and Drug Legislation & Commentary, 2012 Edition, LexisNexis Canada, 2011.
· Author, "Sufficiency of Disclosure and Sound Prediction Requirements in Canada," IPO Committee Newsletter, August 2011 (with Beverley Moore).
· Author, "The Canadian Biotechnology Public Policy Agenda," Biotechnology Focus, September 2011 (with Beverley Moore and Jeffrey Graham).
· Contributing Author, Life Sciences & Chemical Patent Practice in Canada: A Practical Guide, 3rd edition, Borden Ladner Gervais LLP, 2011, available free of charge at www.blgbooks.com.
· Member, Canadian Bar Association; Chair, Newsletter Committee, National Intellectual Property Section
· Member, County of Carleton Law Association
· Member, Intellectual Property Institute of Canada, Litigation Committee, Emerging Issues Committee and Legislation Committee
· Member, American Intellectual Property Law Association
· Member, American Bar Association