Chuck is engaged in a federal and international regulatory and legislative practice. He has been extensively involved in product safety, environmental, tax, health care, technology, and energy issues, and public finance legislative and regulatory matters for a variety of trade associations, corporations, local governments, and state agencies.
His practice encompasses work before the US Consumer Product Safety Commission, Departments of State, Health and Human Services, Energy, and Treasury, US Trade Representative, Environmental Protection Agency, Federal Trade Commission, the IRS, and other federal and state agencies. He also has extensive experience dealing with Canada, the European Commission, and international bodies.
Chuck also engages in trade association representation and antitrust counseling. As general counsel of the Association of Home Appliance Manufacturers, Chuck negotiated and drafted the amendments to the Consumer Product Safety Act and the National Appliance Energy Conservation Act, and represents the appliance industry at international bodies dealing with safety, energy, ozone depletion, and global warming.
Before joining Mintz Levin, Chuck practiced regulatory law with a law firm in Chicago and then worked in the Executive Office of the President before entering private practice in Washington.
Awards & Recognitions
•Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent
• Co-author, CPSC Proposal Set to Expand Company Disclosures , Law360 ( 02.25.2014 )
• Co-author, CPSC Approves $3.9 Million Penalty and Imposition of Compliance Program for National Retail Chain , Consumer Product Safety Alert ( 07.17.2013 )
• Co-author, A Book on Books: SDNY Issues 160-Page Opinion Declaring that Apple Violated Section 1 of the Sherman Act by Conspiring to Raise E-Book Prices , Antitrust Advisory ( 07.15.2013 )
• Co-author, New Children's Product Testing and Certification Rule Set to Impact Manufacturers and Importers on February 8 , Consumer Product Safety Alert ( 02.04.2013 )
• Co-author, CPSC Issues Final Interpretative Rule on Definition of Children's Product , Consumer Product Safety Alert ( 10.18.2010 )
• Recent Major Decisions by the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission Impact Sellers of Children's Product , Consumer Product Safety Commission Alert ( 07.29.2009 )
• FTC Alleges Some Green Marketing Claims Are Dirty , Consumer Protection Advisory ( 06.11.2009 )
• Announcement of New Nominees To The Consumer Product Safety Commission: How This Might Affect Your Business Sooner Than You Think , Consumer Product Safety Commission Advisory ( 05.07.2009 )
• Recently Enacted Product Safety Legislation Is Significantly Impacting Manufacturers, Importers, Retailers and Distributors of Consumer Products , Consumer Products Safety Act Advisory ( 01.08.2009 )
• Faculty, Recent Trends in Product Safety Enforcement, 2014 Product Safety Management Certificate Course , 2014 Product Safety Management Certificate Course at Saint Louis University's Center for Supply Chain Management Studies (05.22.2014)
• Speaker, Consumer Product Safety Enforcement Trends , Mintz Levin, Webinar (09.12.2013)
• Panelist, Managing Company Risk of Administrative Actions, Working Around the CPSC Database, and Responding to Aggressive Investigations, Consumer Products Regulation & Litigation Conference , American Conference Institute, Chicago, IL (06.26.2013)
• Speaker, Navigating CPSC: The Experts' View , Product Safety Letter, Webinar (12.14.2011)
• Panelist, Washington, DC Advocacy Update, NAHEFFA Spring Conference , National Association of Health and Educational Facilities Finance Authorities, Charleston, SC (04.14.2011)
• Speaker, The Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act: Ready or Not? , HB Litigation Conference (04.15.2010)