Mike Cronan is a member and former Managing Partner (1994-1997) of the firm. His practice focuses on civil litigation, with emphasis on business and complex litigation, health care law, and alternative dispute resolution.
· Co-counsel for plaintiff in a successful federal district court Lanham Act lawsuit for infringement of a registered trademark and false designation of origin
· Representation of an international company on equipment obsolescence and product liability issues
· Representation of hospital medical staffs and physicians in peer review matters, including successful defense affirmed on Sixth Circuit appeal involving a physician's antitrust lawsuit challenging hospital's denial of his clinical privileges
What Clients Say
... one of the greatest resources we have... value his counsel on a wide variety of matters.
- Best Lawyers, 2012
"... an outstanding litigator who is fantastic in the courtroom."
- Chambers USA, 2010
"... an incredibly safe pair of hands."
- Chambers USA, 2005
Recent Articles and Speaking Engagements
· "Data Breach: Understanding the Risk and Managing a Crisis," Joint presentation by Stites & Harbison and Marsh, Kroll, Stites & Harbison Conference Center, Louisville, Ky., September 21, 2010
· "Physician Practices in the Era of Health Care Reform: What You Should Know," presented by Stites & Harbison, PLLC, and Mountjoy Chilton Medley, LLP, Stites & Harbison Conference Center, May 21, 2010
· "Commentary: Comments on social media," Medical News, April 2010
· "Hospital/Medical Staff Credentialing and Peer Review Issues," Kentucky Health Law, co-author, et al., 5th ed. (2009)
Speaking Engagements and Publications
Over the past 25 years, Mr. Cronan has made dozens of seminar presentations and has written numerous articles and other publications relating to litigation and health care law. He has contributed to chapters in three editions of the University of Kentucky publication, Kentucky Health Care Law.
Before Stites & Harbison
After graduating from law school in 1970, until 1974 when he joined Stites & Harbison, Mr. Cronan served as a Lieutenant, Judge Advocate General's Corps, USNR, at the law center for the Eleventh Naval District, San Diego, California, and in the Office of Staff Judge Advocate, Commander Cruiser Destroyer Forces, Pacific.
More Than Stites & Harbison
Civic and community involvement includes the Rotary Club of Louisville; GuardiaCare Services, Inc. (Chairman of the Board, 2001-2004); Holy Spirit Church (President, Parish Council, 2000-2003); Citizens for Better Judges (Attorney Steering Committee, 1983-Present); and, Medical Foundation of the Jefferson County Medical Society (Community Advisor, 1983-2006), secretary and member of the executive committee of the Louisville Bar Association, 2012-present.
Besides Stites & Harbison
Mike-a former volunteer firefighter for many years-has a passion for antique fire engines and is the proud owner of a 1956 Maxim Pumper which resides in its own fire house adjacent to his garage.
Best Lawyers in America®, Bet-the-Company Litigation, Commercial Litigation, Health Care Law, Personal Injury Litigation - Defendants and Product Liability Litigation - Defendants (1993-2014)
Best Lawyers in America®, Louisville Area Lawyer of the Year in Health Care Law (2014)
Best Lawyers in America®, Louisville Area Lawyer of the Year in Bet-the-Company Litigation (2013)
Best Lawyers in America®, Louisville Area Lawyer of the Year in Health Care Law (2011)
Best Lawyers in America®, Louisville Bet-the-Company Litigator of the Year (2009)
Kentucky Super Lawyers® (2007-12)
Kentucky Super Lawyers®, Top 10 Attorneys in Kentucky
Chambers Global, "The World's Leading Lawyers," Leader in their Field (2012)
Chambers USA, "America's Leading Lawyers for Business," Litigation: General Commercial for 2012 (2004-2012)Benchmark: Litigation Magazine, "Litigation Star" (2008 and 2009)
Business First of Louisville, 2006-2013 Partners in Health Care (for his vital work for the health care industry)
Rotary Club of Louisville
GuardiaCare Services, Inc., Chairman of the Board, 2001-04
Holy Spirit Church, President, Parish Council, 2000-03
Citizens for Better Judges, Attorney Steering Committee, 1983-Present
Medical Foundation of the Jefferson County Medical Society, Community Advisor, 1983-2006
American Health Lawyers Association
American Bar Association
American College of Trial Lawyers, (Fellow)
American Society of Medical Association Counsel
Federation of Defense & Corporate Counsel
Louisville Bar Association
Kentucky Bar Association
Defense Research Institute (DRI)
Judicial Nominating Commission for the 30th Judicial Circuit
Kentucky Defense Counsel
Kentucky Bar Foundation, (Fellow)
Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals, Life Member
Consumer Products / Food / Beverage
Government Procurement & Contracts
Not For Profit & Professional / Trade Organizations
Industrial / Manufacturing Facilities
Pharmaceutical / Medical Devices
Managing Partner, 1994-97
Health Care Service Group, past chair