Clients requiring representation on mergers and acquisitions and counsel on payment system matters call on Chris Phillips for his practical advice and specific industry expertise. He represents national and international buyers and sellers in the acquisition, disposition, financing and operation of payment processing and financial technology companies. Clients benefit from Chris' comprehensive understanding of industry operations, as well as his technical proficiency in the negotiation and drafting of sponsorship, card processing and key vendor agreements.
Healthcare industry clients look to Chris for counsel on the sale and purchase of hospitals, health systems and related healthcare service providers. He also represents private equity investors in the healthcare, payments and technology sectors.
He is a member of the American Bar Association working group that publishes the semi-annual Private Target Mergers and Acquisitions Deal Points Study and a frequent speaker at financial services industry conferences and meetings.
· Represented a private equity portfolio company in the sale of multiple behavioral health facilities to a NASDAQ-listed company
· Represented a publicly traded payment systems company with merchant acquiring and prepaid bank sponsorship and processing, as well as payment network and regulatory compliance
· Represented a Fortune 1000 hospital company in its acquisition of multiple hospitals from nonprofit hospital authorities and periodic SEC filings
· Represented a private-equity funded healthcare services company in its sale to a NYSE-listed buyer
· Represented an issuing bank in its negotiation of referral agreements, payment network incentive agreements, issuer processing agreements and the wind-down of its prepaid card issuing business
· Represented a private equity-funded technology company in its acquisition of an international division of a Fortune 1000 company
· Represented a venture-backed financial technology company in its negotiation of vendor and customer agreements with multiple Fortune 500 Companies
· Represented merchant card processors in the acquisition of bank portfolios, independent sales organizations, merchant portfolios and residual streams
· Represented a Global 500 consumer-facing financial services company in a review and revision of its operating practices in light of U.S. regulatory reform
· Advised technology and service providers in data security compliance and breach remediation
· Member, Nashville, Tennessee and American Bar Associations
· Member, Payments and Financial Services and Cyberspace Law Committees of the American Bar Association Business Law Section
· Member, Mergers and Acquisitions Market Trends Subcommittee of the American Bar Association Business Law Section
· Member, American Health Lawyers Association
· Former Member, Best Practices Committee, Electronic Transactions Association
News & Events
09.16.09, AHLA CONNECTIONS, "Caveat Emptor - Will Change Ever Be Materially Adverse Enough to Be a 'MAC'?"
09.22.10, NY Attorney General Investigates Healthcare Credit Cards
12.03.10, Chris Phillips quoted in TRANSACTION TRENDS, "Slow Thaw for M&A"
01.11.10, 2010 Southeastern Banking Seminar
· Member, Board of Directors, The Housing Fund, Inc